iOS 8.1 battery life issues

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by trnsilver, Oct 23, 2014.

1. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

Ever since upgrading my iPhone 6 Plus to iOS 8.1, my battery has been draining like crazy and my phone is running hot to the touch, even when I am hardly using it for a significant period of time.

As I found out by doing a Google search today, this is not an uncommon issue.

http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/21/battery-life-ios-8-1/

I bought the 6 Plus because of the huge battery and was THRILLED with how it had been working up until a couple days ago. I was coming home from work with like 70% battery left, which was just incredible.

Now, I've been home all day and barely used my phone and I'm sitting at 60%.

This is NOT good.

2. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

I have had one instance of battery drain (phone hot to touch) since upgrading to 8.1, I shut down about 20 programs and it stopped. I think there is an app(s) not playing well with 8.1.

3. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

I've already hard reset my phone. Now I just closed all my apps per your recommendation.

But still, this is obviously an issue that plenty of people appear to be having.

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Battery life has been amazing for me.. I've been off the charger for 10 1/2 hours and I have 3 hours of usage time and I'm still at 87%.. I even Airplay'd 1 hour worth of video.

You must have something draining yours..

IMG_0001.PNG

What does the usage look like on your phone?

5. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

Mine has been OUTSTANDING until upgrading to iOS 8.1. Just tremendous. But not anymore. And yes, even with mail like that, shouldn't be an issue.

No idea why Music is using so much.

Attached Files:

6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Your Tweetbot is using a lot as well.. My Tweetbot app is set to streaming and it's used 4%

7. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414106391.230641.jpg

I am happy with my battery life, although I do wonder why my usage and standby are always the same, seems odd to me.

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

If you experience battery issues, first check to see if you have location services always running for apps. Of course, check the brightness, auto lock, Bluetooth, system services, and try to determine which app is the problem and close it by double clicking home and swiping up.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's fine to leave Bluetooth on 24/7. I've been doing that for years. It has a negligible impact on battery life.

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I actually leave it on 24/7 since iOS 8 for Handoff.