iOS 8.1 jailbreak available for developers

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by up10ad, Oct 22, 2014.

1. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I almost wish that the jailbreak release had waited until 8.3. There's no point in giving Apple a chance to patch known exploits when we know that Apple has a schedule for 8.2 and 8.3.

4. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

That's the thing. How long does either side wait? They will both keep 1-upping each another. I don't mind watching from the sideline though! :)

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Apple doesn't always patch exploits right away, but I don't really see the point in not waiting a bit longer.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Cydia has been updated , but it needs to be installed manually. I think I'll wait for the Pangu team to incorporate Cydia into their jailbreak. That shouldn't take long at all. Besides, most tweaks aren't going to be compatible with iOS 8 yet, anyway, and mobile substrate still needs to be updated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Hell, I'm not waiting. I have more free time than common sense, so here goes. I'm bored today, anyway.

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'm considering jailbreaking after many years of not bothering. I'd really love to have f.lux on my iOS devices (especially iPad), and a safari adblocker would be nice too. other than that I'm pretty content.

9. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

You are a brave soul.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

Anyway, I have Cydia installed, but tweaks that rely on Cydia Substrate don't work, of course. Also, you can't send pictures from the messaging app. Soooooooo...not very useful right now.

EDIT: You can choose a pic from your library while in the messaging app and that seems to work fine.

#10 Napoleon PhoneApart, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  11. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

IMG_0208.PNG

13. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Count me impressed!

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Naw - just following directions.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I tend to disagree with this because there is always another firmware version around the corner. And if there isn't one scheduled, Apple will often push an update that is nothing more than "security fixes" to break the jailbreak. I prefer the devs to give us what they have now and then deal with new firmware when we cross that bridge. They only exceptions to this is when we are on the buggy initial versions of a new firmware and when a major annual update is right around the corner. I can skip 8.2, for example, but I wouldn't want to skip 8.0.

Also, I absolutely love how they are breaking the trend of jailbreaks for new hardware taking several months. The fact that we consistently had to wait four months didn't give pro-jailbreakers (people who advise others to do it to remove restrictions) much of a leg to stand on and it made a lot of people think jailbreaks weren't in demand anymore.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yes, but these are known, preplanned updates, not mere minor fixes.

17. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Well isn't this a bummer. I just ordered my 6 plus. Now I'm worried that by the time I get it, it'll have 8.2 on it and I won't be able to jailbreak.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They usually have planned updates around the corner unless the new hardware is due shortly.

My point is why should they sit on this for several months waiting for 8.3 when Apple would probably just come out with 8.3.1 soon thereafter to break it?

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think it's unlikely that your iPhone will have 8.2 on it.

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm not sure you're getting my point. Apple is planning these three updates to release in "shifts" around such events as new hardware releases (Apple Pay, Apple Watch, etc.). These aren't just bug-fix releases. We know they're coming and all the updates are in beta testing now.