iOS 8.4 Jailbreak Released

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Could not find the edit button in my sleep deprived state, so I'll reply to myself, saying that I have too much crap that won't work (CCControls, Springtomize), so I'll scratch pkgbackup.
Thanks for your help!
Springtomize 3 has been updated for 8.3/8.4. I used PkgBackup with 99% success. F.lux was no good for now.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Springtomize 3 has been updated for 8.3/8.4. I used PkgBackup with 99% success. F.lux was no good for now.
Is it working okay for you? I heard it was updated today but buggy, so I didn't install it.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Is it working okay for you? I heard it was updated today but buggy, so I didn't install it.
Springtomize 3? Updated today? I don't recall getting an update today, yesterday yes before I updated to 8.4. Buggy I don't think so, nah. Of course though I don't use everything in it like animations, but the dock coverflow is all good, and the lock animation that I just tested.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Springtomize 3? Updated today? I don't recall getting an update today, yesterday yes before I updated to 8.4. Buggy I don't think so, nah. Of course though I don't use everything in it like animations, but the dock coverflow is all good, and the lock animation that I just tested.
I guess it was yesterday. I'm not sure. I just heard about it this morning.

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant those were your instructions for jailbreaking. You meant those instructions are for applying your unlock, but they are instructions for STOCK iPhones, not jailbroken iPhones. If you do that on a jailbroken device, you will get stuck at the boot logo. Don't do it. You need to restore in iTunes. This will update you to 8.4, remove your old jailbreak and apply your unlock. You'll get a popup in iTunes that says, "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked." Then you can jailbreak and apply your backup so you don't have to set the phone up from scratch.
OK, I just applied 8.4, but never got the "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked." popup. Now I'm restoring from backup. Is there any way I could verify that my phone is unlocked other than trying to put in another sim card?

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
OK, I just applied 8.4, but never got the "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked." popup. Now I'm restoring from backup. Is there any way I could verify that my phone is unlocked other than trying to put in another sim card?
By saying "I applied 8.4", I meant that I had updated in iTunes from 8.1 to 8.4.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
By saying "I applied 8.4", I meant that I had updated in iTunes from 8.1 to 8.4.
It was because you updated instead of doing a restore. You need to restore to apply the unlock. You don't need to use a backup if you simply update, so I'm confused as to why you are doing that and why you didn't restore. Restoring your backup doesn't restore the firmware or activate the phone, which is what you need to do.

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
You mean "Restore iPhone" in iTunes? What does that do, exactly?

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
I had always did a restore backup after an update, historically, and it had always worked for me. Ah well. So, in my current predicament, I must choose "Restore iPhone" after having updated and restored from backup? If so, where would that leave me?
Sorry for the constant questions, I really lack sleep now, as I will leave soon on my trip.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Restoring the iPhone basically puts it back to factory state, like a brand new phone. I love doing it sometimes as it feels like a new device. :p In this case, for it to be unlocked, you need to restore it through iTunes.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes. It restores the firmware and activates the phone. You need to activate it to apply your unlock. Once it starts syncing, you need to start over. This time be sure to press the "Restore iPhone" button. After it restores to 8.4, then you can press the "Restore Backup" button and sync your data and settings back on.

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Thanks to all, I'll do that now. Live and learn, I suppose!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I had always did a restore backup after an update, historically, and it had always worked for me. Ah well. So, in my current predicament, I must choose "Restore iPhone" after having updated and restored from backup? If so, where would that leave me?
Sorry for the constant questions, I really lack sleep now, as I will leave soon on my trip.
1. It's an unnecessary step after updating. You just need to to it if you restore.
2. Yes. But you can stop the sync right now and then press the "Restore iPhone" button.
3. That will leave you on a clean install of 8.4 and you should get the "Congratulations..." message. Then you can jailbreak if you want to. After that, press the "Restore Backup" button.

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Europa, thanks for taking the time to help me understand, I appreciate it!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Europa, thanks for taking the time to help me understand, I appreciate it!
You're welcome. Post back after the restore and let me know if you get the congratulations message. It will look like this:
5s unlocked.png

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
You're welcome. Post back after the restore and let me know if you get the congratulations message.
Hi Europa,
I did get the unlock notification, thanks! Now on to JB and restore! I will now be able use my phone on my trip! Thanks again!

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Note: For JB to work on my ancient laptop, Vista SP2 x64 (never bothered to upgrade to W7, though I have it), itunes 12.1.2.27, TaiG 2.2.0, IP5 now on iOS 8.4: I had to turn on airplane mode, and NOT run the tool in administrator mode.
ALSO: Cydia kept on crashing till I rebooted the device.

BUT: I have no been able to sync my music, which is all local. Looks like that part failed to sync, but has nothing to do with JB. iTunes itself has not preserved my library, and probably I had failed to notice this as I seldom use it.