iOS 8.4 launch set for Tuesday, 8AM PDT; "Beats 1" radio station follows one hour later

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Thinking we may need an Apple Music category. Still on the fence, but maybe.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It will be interesting to see what genres will be played on Beats 1. If it's mostly hip hop and pop, I'll stick with TuneIn Radio Pro. I like the current "iTunes radio" set up. I can pick what I like with no DJ to bother me.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm hoping they incorporate the new music features into the existing Music app. I don't care to have one more icon on my home screen that I don't use and can't remove, even though I currently have one full unused row.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Why not put them out of site on page two of a folder if all four are never used?

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I may have been ambiguous… What I meant was, "I don't care to have one more icon on my home screen that I don't use and can't remove, despite currently having one full unused (vacant) row." Here is my current home screen:

IMG_2243.PNG

In other words, I have empty space on my home screen, and I want to keep it that way. :)

However, if an exceptionally worthy app came along some day, then I would be willing to mess up that vacant row in order to house it.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Chris, you may as well create an Apple Music subforum. You wouldn't be the first.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435612188.339947.jpg

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Gotcha. Yeah, I misunderstood. Just curious, though. Do you actually use Newsstand and do you have an Apple Watch? I just noticed how they are on your first page.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There are probably at least four apps there on that screen that I either never use or use once every two or three months: Newstand, Health, Apple Watch, and Stocks. But I like to keep that screen as close to what you get after a fresh iOS install as possible. I don't normally place third-party apps on the home screen.

But I think they've got it looking just about right as it is right now. A brand new icon resulting from tomorrow's iOS 8.4 update could upset that balance, but I will hide it in a folder if deemed necessary for aesthetic reasons.

10. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Frankly, unused/unwanted apps like newsstand or stocks are relegated to folders on the last page of my device(s). The home screens/pages are reserved for my most used/frequently accessed apps. The more frequent its use, the closer an app will be to my home screen.
    YMMV

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Hehe. I almost mentioned Health and Stocks along with them, but I felt like it would be too judgemental to assume you don't use those two so I just mentioned the other two. I have all four of them hidden. I'm the opposite; I want my phone to look less stock and the stuff I don't use just wastes space. I put my most-used apps on page one so I can get to them faster.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Wait. Let me get this straight. You are complaining about having another icon that you don't use and can't remove, yet you already intentionally keep the other stock icons you don't use on your first page instead of tucking them away in a folder on the last page? Dude.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Ha, I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but there's method to my madness, I assure you.

The thing is, it's perfect right now. One entire vacant row. It looks good. To have the next row littered by one single app icon for an app I don't want would be less than ideal. :)

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It wouldn't have to go on that empty row. You could, ya know, move one of those four apps you never use to another page to make room for it if it does happen to be a standalone app.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My first page of icons can only have three rows of five icons and no folders, but then I'm weird.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

But do you have all the stock apps you never use (like Newsstand and Game Center) on that first page? An empty row or two on page one isn't weird. It gives it a clean look and you can see more of your wallpaper, if that's what you are aiming for.

He said he wants to be able to delete the apps he doesn't use, but then he contradicted himself and said he wants to keep them on page one so it looks as stock as possible. So he's filling page one with apps he never uses and then concerned that he won't be able to fit another app (that he can't delete) on page one without it taking space on the empty row. He could just move one of the apps he doesn't use to another page.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Of course not. I hide most of my never-used or seldom-used apps in folders off the first page.

18. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

8:04 PDT WHERE MUH UPDAYTE!!!! jk

19. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

We're discussing the release here.

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't use the health app, except to keep my medical info so it may be seen from the lock screen by first responders. But it is kept in the "Not Used" folder.