iOS 8.4 Music App Questions

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Europa, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Does anyone know how to save a radio station in the music app? Is there a still an option for "My Stations" somewhere? By searching through Apple Music, I found a few stations that weren't listed as defaults under the radio tab, but I can't find a way to save them. I want to save them because I don't plan on continuing with Apple Music once the free trial is over, so I don't know if I would be able to search for them in the future. For now, they show up in recently played, but that would disappear after a restore.
    This question has been answered. Thanks, @Ledsteplin

2. On previous iOS versions, new songs I added to playlists would go to the top of the playlist, which is where I want them. That way they are the first to play when I start the playlist. On 8.4, they go to the bottom and I'm having to drag each one to the top, which is tedious. Is there a way to get new songs that are added to a playlist to show up at the top of the playlist?

#1 Europa, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. Tom Boyer

Tom Boyer New Member

3 Month-Free Trial is too... short. I just want it be longer...
    And I want know the answer of the same question as Europa said. So it there some methods to save my listened songs station ?

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I did not find a way to save a radio station. The closest solution would be to play the station from the "Recently Played" list. It's not exactly what you are looking for, but it is quick access to radio stations.

I'm looking into the second question.

4. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I have an iTunes music question. I am a long time iTunes match subscriber. I did NOT signup for Apple music as I don't stream enough to justify the monthly expense. Prior to 8.4 all of my playlists on my MAC showed up on my iPhone. After 8.4, the playlists are not appearing on my iPhone. Also, new songs added on my MAC are no longer appearing on my phone, even though I selected the update cloud library option on the MAC.

This new music app is a bit of a mess. I kinda wish they had made the new streaming service a separate app as its very hard to navigate iTunes match only subscriptions. iTunes match also does not show up in settings anymore.

~S

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't see a "save" for stations. I think you just play them to keep them relevant at the top. If they're not plated, they will fade away on down.
    @Europa

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Think of ´ú┐Music as an add on. Not a replacement. If you're not going to subscribe, just keep doing what you have been doing. You can simplify it by going to Settings >Music > Toggle off Apple Music. Then go to Settings >General >Restrictions > Toggle off Apple Music Connect." There should be an option to download playlists to offline.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you forget to enable iCloud Library on the phone?

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, that's what I've been using for now. But like I said, they would disappear after a restore and I don't think I could find them again once the Apple Music trial is over. You can share stations so I texted them to myself. It's just weird that we can't save stations in the app. I looks like "My Stations" used to be a feature in older versions of iTunes and iOS. I've never used iTunes Radio until this week.
    That's what I've been doing. However, this isn't a good long-term plan. The stations I like are not default stations and the ones I do like can only be found by searching through Apple Music. I won't be able to find them after the free trial is over. I won't have Apple Music on my 6s this fall. The workaround I came up with is "sharing" the stations with myself via text message and saving the texts on my Mac. I'll just text them back to myself on my 6s after I get it and then stick with "Recently Played."

You don't currently have Apple Music, right? Maybe you can test this for me to confirm that I won't be able to search for alternate radio stations after my 3-month trial is over. Try searching for "90s" music and let me know if you get any results. Post a screenshot if you do. I get results, but it's through Apple Music and I don't see anywhere else that you can search for alternate iTunes Radio stations in the Music app.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Before in iOS 7 and up to 8.3 you could save stations that played a genre or whatever. Now they have a list of preset stations that stay on the list. Those you create will go away if not used. What I don't like is the created stations play the same artist every 3rd song or so. So if you create a station from The Doobie Brothers, then every 3rd song or so will be them.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So can you test it for me? Check my last paragraph.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Got these:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436378178.968375.jpg

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

They look like stations someone created. You can do that. Take any 90s song and tap to create station.

The first one may not be a created station. They usually have the artists or song name.

#12 Ledsteplin, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Perfect. Thank you for testing it! So it will work. What Apple has done on that screen is changed "Apple Music" to "Radio" for those who don't have Apple Music. I got the same results as you through the Apple Music tab, but they also included songs, albums, etc. So that's good, when my trial is over, I'll still have a way to search for them through the Radio tab that will replace the Apple Music tab. Thanks again! That was really helpful and answered my first question. I'm no longer worried about trying to save them since I will still be able to search for them.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Searched 80s music and got, "Jessie's Girl Radio".
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436380241.328036.jpg

15. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I will give that a try and see if it works. Thanks !!

~S