iOS 8.4 Music app-related Siri query yields odd results

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I summoned Siri and requested she play shuffled Jason Aldean songs. I had what I believed was a reasonable expectation: Siri would play shuffled songs from my Jason Aldean albums (which I own, and keep stored locally, on my iPhone).

After initially misinterpreting "Jason Aldean" with humorous results, she interpreted my query correctly on the second attempt. However, instead of playing Jason Aldean songs off my albums, she went ahead and played a Jason Aldean song off an album that I do not own: she used Now That's What I Call Music! 39. I have verified that the song she played does in fact exist on that album.

Siri query 1.jpg Siri query 1 result.jpg

I assume this means Siri has the authority to play music from albums that one doesn't own, due to one's membership in the new Apple Music service. Am I correct in this assumption?

My quest for knowledge then took me to what I will refer to as Experiment Two.

I decided to ask Siri to play songs by an artist whose albums I do not own. I asked Siri to play songs by Prince. She appears to have correctly interpreted my query (note the capitalized word Prince). This time, she went ahead and played a song from an album I do own. However, the song she played—"No Matter What" by Badfinger—has absolutely nothing to do with my request.

Siri query 2.jpg Siri query result 2.jpg

Why would a seemingly properly interpreted Siri query yield such an erratic result?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes. It can play music you don't own when you subscribe to Apple Music.

This happens to me frequently. I can't say that Siri is reliable, in my experience. It still feels like beta software. It has nothing to do with 8.4; it's been this way all along.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yep, you gave millions and millions of songs for Siri to fetch for you.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I made a couple of observations with this tonight and in turn learned that the wording you use is crucial if you are subscribed to Apple Music.

If you say, for example, "Play Nine Inch Nails," Siri will reply with, "Here are some popular Nine Inch Nails songs" and it will stream music from that band via Apple Music, which will use your data off of WiFi. Instead, if you say, "Play my Nine Inch Nails songs," it will reply with "Playing Nine Inch Nails" or "Nine Inch Nails coming up" and only play what's stored on your device or saved to your library. If you have cellular data for Apple Music enabled, in addition to songs that are owned and stored locally, it will stream songs by that artist that you have added to your library or a playlist through Apple Music. This is important to know if you want to minimize the amount of data you use.

I also noticed it will play genres though Apple Music. You can say things like, "Play '80s music" and it will stream popular music from that era through Apple Music without ads or skip limits.

@Rafagon, try it again, but this time say, "Play my Jason Aldean songs" and this time you should only get the songs you were expecting.

Prince pulled all of his music from every streaming source with the exception of Tidal. Since you don't have any stored on your phone and Siri couldn't locate anything to stream, I guess it chose something random.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you for doing those experiments, Europa. My iPhone is currently MIA, so I'm going to have to wait to do my own experiments until either it decides to show up (unlikely at this point) or whenever I can afford to replace my iPhone (probably gonna have to go this route). I might even settle for a 5s to minimize my downtime, as funding is all but nonexistent, and I'm having Words With Friends withdrawals already.

The "Find My iPhone" feature reported that the phone is "offline" and I'm almost postive I had "Send Last Location Before Battery Dies" (or whatever the actual wording on that option was) turned on. However, perhaps it was found by a miscreant and manually turned off before the battery died.

Of course, I put in a request that I be e-mailed when the phone is located.

Update: Here's an update on my lost (now considered stolen) iPhone.

#5 Rafagon, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015