iOS 8.4 Released with Apple Music, Beats 1 and Revamped Music App

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Beats 1 is accepting listener requests. What's noteworthy is how you make requests. You do not use an app, nor do you use a website; you actually pick up a telephone and dial a number as if you were some kind of troglodyte.

There are specific phone numbers that you call depending on where you live.

Without further ado, here's the list of phone numbers.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Beats 1 is accepting listener requests. What's noteworthy is how you make requests. You do not use an app, nor do you use a website; you actually pick up a telephone and dial a number as if you were some kind of troglodyte.

There are specific phone numbers that you call depending on where you live.

Without further ado, here's the list of phone numbers.
Every time I open Beats 1, rap music is playing. Is that your experience? I'm not sure why I wasn't expecting that.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Every time I open Beats 1, rap music is playing. Is that your experience? I'm not sure why I wasn't expecting that.
I hadn't tried Beats 1 until right now. You may be right. Eminem - "Lose Yourself" from the 8 Mile Soundtrack.

After that finished, it was Mr. Zane Lowe interviewing Eminem.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The website I linked to above—with the phone numbers—is hosted on Tumblr. I wonder why Apple is putting content on Tumblr instead of on their own domain?

http://applemusic.tumblr.com

Have they ever done something like this before?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Sheesh! Nevermind, I just realized that when I went from iOS 9 b2 to 8.4, I installed 8.4 beta 4, not the public release. I'm installing it now.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I only have three tabs at the bottom, all other screenshots I see show five. Plus, I never got a prompt to join Apple Music.
I'm looking at five right now. For You, New, Radio, Connect, and My Music. You may get the other two tabs after you join Apple Music:

Go to this site: http://applemusic.tumblr.com

Then, click on "START 3-MONTH FREE TRIAL."

Sheesh! Nevermind, I just realized that when I went from iOS 9 b2 to 8.4, I installed 8.4 beta 4, not the public release. I'm installing it now.
Update: Gotcha. Disregard my post then. Have fun and let us know if you run into any trouble.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm looking at five right now. For You, New, Radio, Connect, and My Music. You may get the other two tabs after you join Apple Music:

Go to this site: http://applemusic.tumblr.com

Then, click on "START 3-MONTH FREE TRIAL."

Update: Gotcha. Disregard my post then. Have fun and let us know if you run into any trouble.
Got it now:

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1435775715.696528.jpg

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Tracks for offline and local use are being DRM encoded by Apple. Y'all be careful what you do. There are work arounds. But it will cost you more. Don't use iCloud Music Library!

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Just started playing with the Radio tab and so far I'm liking it. There are definitely categories that would interest almost anyone. I can see possibly replacing my satellite radio with it but will need to listen more before making that kind of change. I have to ask one dumb question though, I see no mention anywhere of having to pay for the service. Is it free for now and will it remain that way? I did run into a 30 second Doritos commercial on the Música Mexicana channel, is that the norm? I haven't heard a commercial on any of the other channels yet but have only been listening for maybe 15 minutes so far.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just started playing with the Radio tab and so far I'm liking it. There are definitely categories that would interest almost anyone. I can see possibly replacing my satellite radio with it but will need to listen more before making that kind of change. I have to ask one dumb question though, I see no mention anywhere of having to pay for the service. Is it free for now and will it remain that way? I did run into a 30 second Doritos commercial on the Música Mexicana channel, is that the norm? I haven't heard a commercial on any of the other channels yet but have only been listening for maybe 15 minutes so far.
That's iTunes Radio. It's free and ad-supported. It will use your cellular data if you use it off of WiFi. It's a lot like Pandora. There's also an option for Beats 1 in the radio tab, which doesn't have categories and was playing rap both times I checked.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Thanks Europa, I'll spend more time tomorrow listening to see how often and how long the ads are. From what I've heard so far it may be a better alternative to the satellite radio I mounted on my Harley a few years ago. The only drawback, compared to XM might be the lack of cellular Internet access on the back roads many of us bikers prefer riding on. It still seems worth looking into in any case.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
The lovely folks at Apple have added a new feature to facilitate/encourage impulse purchasing of songs: a Buy button for the currently playing song on iTunes Radio right there in the Control Center! That is so absolutely nice of them! :D

View attachment 42075
It's on the lock screen as well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435850146.065639.jpg

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It's on the lock screen as well.
View attachment 42105
Wow! Is that a good idea, Apple? Suppose you're using your iPhone to stream some music for a small gathering of friends, perhaps around a campire. You walk away to seek privacy in order to void your bladder, leaving your iPhone behind. Any of those folks can pick up your iPhone and buy music. You'd be none the wiser until you get the e-mailed receipt a few days later. By that time, the culprit could have fled to Canada.

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
96% of my music is from CD's and vinyl. My preference by far. There has been the occasional iTunes purchase mostly for single songs where I was not interested in the bulk of a particular bands music, or to listen to bits of songs to see if I want to go out and buy a new record or CD.
Since the new 8.4 release I can't seem to find my way back to iTunes, should I want to make a purchase as I wanted to today.
Am I missing something? Is there a way to access the old iTunes stuff? Has this now become streaming only? If so, I guess I'm done with iTunes...or whatever Apple calls it now.
I'm just glad that vinyl is slowly making a come back.

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
Ok....there's an app to launch now. Was that there before 8.4? It must have come with 8.4 right? Tell me I'm not going crazy!!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok....there's an app to launch now. Was that there before 8.4? It must have come with 8.4 right? Tell me I'm not going crazy!!
That hasn't changed. There has been separate iTunes app all along.