iOS 8.4 Released with Apple Music, Beats 1 and Revamped Music App

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I have a bit of a criticism on the way certain music sharing features are being presented to the user in iOS 8.4.

The screen that's visible when listening to a custom radio station has two places to tap on, lower left-hand corner and lower right-hand corner, that both lead to the same functions; tapping on the left button presents you with two functions, whereas tapping on the right button presents those same two options again, plus a few more.

The same occurs when listening to a song from your own music library (i.e. a song that you own and which resides on your phone), but to a lesser degree.

Here are screenshots to help better illustrate my point:

redundant main.jpg (click to expand)

Tapping on the left button:
tap on left.PNG (click to expand)

Tapping on the right button:
tap on right.PNG (click to expand)

As evident in the screenshots above, If you tap on the left button, you get "Share Station…" and "Share Song…" functions.

If you tap on the right button, again you get "Share Station…" and "Share Song…" functions, albeit with three extra functions.

Why are the "Share Station…" and "Share Song…" functions duplicated on two separate buttons on the very same screen?

I've seen situations while navitating the iOS menu tree where there is more than one path to arrive at the same function. That's okay by me. But I've NEVER seen Apple place two duplicated functions on either side of the same screen. It just looks sloppy and redundant.

I know that it sounds like I'm being overly picky, but you could imagine if Apple decided to place two "Dial" buttons on the dialing keypad screen—both, obviously, accomplishing the same task—one on the lower-left hand corner of the screen, and a second on the lower right-hand corner of the screen? That would be quite ridiculous, as you can see in this screenshot I created to illustrate my point:

dial screen duplicate buttons.jpg (click to expand)

I aplogize in advance for the "click to expand" explanation that I decided to use on this post. I realize I've been told that they are basically unnecessary. But as usual, this is just in case there are new members on eiC that aren't thoroughly familiar with thumbnail views of images and that they can be enlarged by clicking on them. I only used it this time because I wanted to ensure that my points were explained as clearly as possible.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Are you doing the Apple Music trial and wish you could remove the @Connect tab at the bottom of the screen in the Music app and get your Playlist tab back?
image.jpg

You can!

Directions:
Settings > General > Restrictions > On > Toggle off "Apple Music Connect."

@Connect will be removed and Playlists will take its spot. (y)
image.jpg

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
If you're not streaming, you can remove the Apple Music along with Connect. Go to Settings > Music > Toggle off Apple Music. Then on the Music app you have 3 tabs My Music, Playlists, and Radio.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436188282.929108.jpg

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Apparently you can't have 2 songs with the same title offline. So if you have a studio version and a live concert version of the same song in iTunes, you can't put them both on your phone offline.
It won't let me create a radio station with some songs or artists I have purchased. One was Rock And Roll by Led Zeppelin.

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
Apparently you can't have 2 songs with the same title offline. So if you have a studio version and a live concert version of the same song in iTunes, you can't put them both on your phone offline.
It won't let me create a radio station with some songs or artists I have purchased. One was Rock And Roll by Led Zeppelin.
SOOO glad I will never use this service. Sounds like a pain in the ass. Just let me have my vinyl and my Rega and I'm more than happy. Analog before that bits and pieces version of music any day.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Has anyone using iCloud Music Library noticed their available storage space being filled with cache? I'm seeing users starting to complain. I'm not using Apple Music. Has anyone noticed?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I began seeing Billboard posts in Facebook. Then noticed it didn't appear to be ads. I tapped it and saw I had "liked" and "Followed" Billboard. No, I never did. There was another page like that recently. I unliked and unfollowed it.