iOS 8 Beta 2 Now Available For Download

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Apple has just released iOS 8 beta 2. The changelog is one of the longest I've seen in recent history. Those running iOS 8 shouldn't be surprised, given the extremely buggy performance. Not a complaint, but an observation.

If you are a developer, you can grab it on the portal.

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Podcasts is preinstalled. Waiting for Preview and Text Edit next. Starting to pile up apps. Not good, especially for those of us with 16GB iPhones.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I found iOS 8 beta 1 was more buggy than iOS 7, which was a major rewrite.
I agree Chris... I have been having some bad Bluetooth issues. But I heard a report while ago that those still have not been addressed. Oh well. I'll download tonight anyway. :)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
iPad
I agree Chris... I have been having some bad Bluetooth issues. But I heard a report while ago that those still have not been addressed. Oh well. I'll download tonight anyway. :)
It lists this in the changelog:
Bluetooth
Known Issue
The CoreBluetooth State Preservation & Restoration feature does not work. If your application is jetsammed while in the background performing long-term action(s) with CoreBluetooth, those applications will cease and the application will not be restored.

It doesn't say anything about being fixed in beta 2.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
iPads now have predicative text. I don't know if I'll be able to get used to it. It's pretty distracting.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I know this question has probably been asked before but if I'm interested in testing out the beta, what are the steps I need to take? I don't have an iOS developer account. Does the beta get installed on the same decide that already has 7.1 on it? I'm wondering about stability with iOS 8.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I know this question has probably been asked before but if I'm interested in testing out the beta, what are the steps I need to take? I don't have an iOS developer account. Does the beta get installed on the same decide that already has 7.1 on it? I'm wondering about stability with iOS 8.
Don't install the beta on your daily driver because you'll end up complaining about instability. Install it on an iDevice you don't rely on to work well every day.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
What amazes me is how they can go from fully-functioning features in iOS7 to buggier versions of the same features in iOS8. I expect affected features to perhaps have issues - like the keyboard covering up text entries a lot of the time now. But features that haven't (theoretically) been touched? Half the time, I cannot slide to accept phone calls, I can't bring up the lock screen, and I can only connect to my stereo in the car on a good day. As a part-time developer myself, I am struggling to understand how some of these beats even made beta status.

Part of me thinks that Apple partially cripples these things to discourage adoption by non-devs.

This is also the Beta that seems to have the widest variety of problems that affect only some users. Many of the complaints that I have seen from people are ones that I am not experiencing and vice versa.