iOS 8 Beta 3 Is Out, What's New?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Continuing the discussion from 'When will iOS 8 beta 3 be released?", here's your thread for changes in iOS 8 beta 3. It is available now, either OTA (for those with iOS 8 beta installed) or via the developer portal. Changes appear minimal from what I've seen thus far. A new toggle for handoff, new wallapapers...

I for one would like to see some more stability. I know it's a beta, but buggy betas can lead to buggy public releases.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
From an almost unusable state (Seed 1) to bearable (Seed 2) to much better (Seed 3). But my, the memory needed to update! I've been lazy. Only logged in 13 bugs through bug tracker from Seed 1. 6 fixed.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Seems even buggier than beta 1 and 2. I now have no ringtone or text sound, can't download apps I previously downloaded, LTE and 3G won't change. Like if I'm on 3G it won't switch over to LTE unless I put into airplane mode for a few seconds and switch back.
Starting to get concerned with how incredibly unstable these builds have been thus far. September isn't that far away.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Starting to get concerned with how incredibly unstable these builds have been thus far. September isn't that far away.
Judging from their recent track record, I think iOS 8 will be a bit buggy for a while after the public launch. It took them six months to fix the Safari crashes in iOS 7. Six months. :mad:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I heard "Hey Siri" can be invoked without the phone being plugged to a power supply. Can anybody confirm this?
No, it still says "When connected to power, start talking to Siri without pressing the home button by saying Hey Siri." I'd disable it if it were constantly listening. It would contribute to battery drain and, in my experience, activate itself when you don't want it to.

Hey Siri isn't working at all for me on beta 3. It worked on beta 1, which is when I lasted tested it. It was a bit annoying when I was charging the iPad because it was repeatedly activating itself when I didn't want it to. I was talking on the phone and I guess it heard words that kinda rhymed with Siri such as leery.

image.jpg

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
No, it still says "When connected to power, start talking to Siri without pressing the home button by saying Hey Siri." I'd disable it if it were constantly listening. It would contribute to battery drain and, in my experience, activate itself when you don't want it to.

Hey Siri isn't working at all for me on beta 3. It worked on beta 1, which is when I lasted tested it. It was a bit annoying when I was charging the iPad because it was repeatedly activating itself when I didn't want it to. I was talking on the phone and I guess it heard words that kinda rhymed with Siri such as leery.

View attachment 37259
This video shows otherwise. Possibly fake.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This video shows otherwise. Possibly fake.

He presses the home button at the beginning of the video to activate Siri. Siri is still in listening mode every time he says "Hey Siri" thereafter in the video.

I'm on beta 3. That initial activation of Hey Siri without pressing the home button still requires a power source.

image.jpg

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008

View attachment 37259
I'm glad they chose Siri instead of Dolores.

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
So now that people are using it for a couple days does it truly seem to be more stable? What about the Bluetooth issues?
Tom