iOS 8 bugs

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Bennyboy, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The thing about the Notes app is that the OS X incarnation has a lot more formatting options that you can apply to text on a note than the iOS version. This formatting will sync correctly back to iOS. But, because the iOS version of Notes does not have all these formatting options, once you're editing the note on iOS, you're stuck with the formatting that you initiated on OS X, and the only way to get rid of it is to undo it on OS X or copy and paste "normal" text after the formatted text to return back to the standard font. It's easier to illustrate than it is to express in words. See my example below...

So much for Continuity :D

IMG_0423.PNG

#181 Rafagon, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Wow!

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I don't have notes on on icloud.

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

and when I start a new note it's where it should be, only when I try to edit a note. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1416103893.390468.jpg

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

@Bennyboy Do to you have any jailbreak tweaks that could be adversely affecting the Notes app? Have you tried a hard reset?

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Not jailbroken and I just did a hard reset after you suggested it, and it's getting closer but no cigar lol this is funny, never had anything so stupid bother me so much. Here's where I'm at now. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1416147026.893012.jpg

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

^^Benny, do you have a lot of very important notes stored on your phone? Or do you have a small number of trivial notes that you could temporarily back up by, for example, e-mailing them to yourself?

If the former, then you can stop reading right here, because I don't have a suggestion for this scenario.

If the latter, then I would like to suggest that you go ahead and backup all your notes, then delete them from the Notes app, and then, while the Notes app is completely devoid of content, do the hard reset that Europa has suggested.

Just as in my previous suggestion, I have no guarantee that this will work.

PS: Do you recall the first time this happened to you? What it immediately after the 8.1 update? Or at some random point in time?

PPS: Also, "Hard Reset" sounds like a great name for a band, or a happening night club on Miami Beach. But this doesn't help your situation.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The Safari but that caused the screen to freeze when using shortcuts has been fixed in 8.1.1. The bug that caused Safari to freeze when typing on forums was a duplicate of that problem and it appears to be fixed as well in 8.1.1.

New 8.1.1 bug I've noticed:
    Occasionally the Done button does not work when you are watching a YouTube video in mobile Safari. You have to close the app if you want to get out of the video and back to the YouTube page. It will reload. It cannot be reproduced, but it randomly reoccurs on occasion.

8.x bug that was not patched in 8.1.1:
    When sending videos in iMessages, the play arrow does not initially work and therefore you cannot play them in thumbnail mode shortly after the video is sent. It is very finicky in allowing you to get the video full size so it can be played shortly after being sent/received as well. It takes a slightly longer than normal quick tap outside of the area of the play button when it is in that stage. It does this to the sender and the receiver. A short while later, both methods of video playback (thumbnail and full screen) is normal for both people.

9. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I've also experienced the video bug in iMessage.

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Glad to see the safari bug fixed, I'm dreading the update that activates apple watch as this will be one I cannot pass. I'll just hope a JB will be available shortly after.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They have a partially working 8.1.1 jailbreak, but they likely won't release. Instead they will save it for 8.2, which is good news for jailbreakers who want and Apple watch.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've been on 8.1.1 for several days and the Safari keyboard freeze bug has been fixed. Rejoice. :)

Another bug that was fixed was a voice dialing problem. On 8.0 - 8.1, saying "Call John" would result in Siri asking you what you wanted to know about John and providing you with a list of all of his stored information in the phone. The Siri text would initially show that you said "Dial John" but then it would quickly autocorrect it to "John." Therefore it didn't know what you wanted when it routed that through the internet. Weird bug. The workaround was to say "Dial John" or "Call John mobile." Side note, why the hell does iOS still have to use internet for local tasks like dialing, setting reminders, and music playback? Voice Controls handle calls and music just fine without Internet when Siri is disabled. You'd think it could recognize the difference and handle it locally, but I digress.

Here are some other bugs I've noticed. Most of these have been there since 8.0 and aren't fixed yet.
    1. When you turn a Bluetooth headset on while a phone is coming through, it will default to the phone source and you'll have to toggle it to Bluetooth after connection. This started with 8.0 and has been tested with multiple headsets and iPhones.
    2. Predictive text stops appearing at times though it is still toggled on. Toggling it off and then on again brings it back.
    3. WiFi never auto-connects when you arrive within range when you are on a phone call. You have to manually connect. This occurred on 7.x as well.
    4. Selecting and copying text on certain forums is still very glitchy. It's difficult to get the selection bars to move. Occasionally, it selects the entire post and then goes berserk with a rapid strobe-like flash of the selection which takes up the entire screen and slowly auto-scrolls to the top of the page. Trying to regain control of the page fails and it repeatedly slowly auto-scrolls you right back to the top. Reloading the page from the URL bar doesn't fix it, but going back a couple pages and then returning does.

I have confirmed that all of these occur on other iPhones except bug #2, but I haven't researched it at all yet.

#192 Europa, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I still have the messages app freezing up. It happens now too many times per day. I've deleted SwiftKey to see if that's the problem.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My Messages app has locked up on me about four times in the past 24 hours on 8.1.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

With no 3rd party keyboard?

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

No. I'm using a third-party keyboard. I'll remove Swype and see what happens.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What exactly happens when it freezes? Does the entire screen become unresponsive? Do you have to force close it and do you lose the text you had written prior to the freeze? If so, that sounds like the Safari keyboard freezing problem I had on 8.0 - 8.1 Are you running 8.1.1?

I'm not messing with third party keyboards at all at this point. They are too buggy and I've had enough stock keyboard problems this year already. My keyboard is working beautifully now and I don't want to add anything that's going to mess that up.

18. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Swype made my messaging app freeze few times, deleted. It's all good now.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The whole screen becomes unresponsive. Nothing works. I have to force close it. The only thing I've noticed that initiates the freeze, is when I'm on the messages app and I get a FaceTime call. Most of the time I have no idea why. I'll tap on a key or something, and I'll see something streak across the lower area of the screen. It's fast and I never see what it is. Then the screen is frozen. It is like the Safari freezes, except no letters get stuck sticking up.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are you on 8.1.1? If not, updating might resolve it. If you've already updated, try uninstalling all third party keyboards and post an update.