iOS 8 bugs

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Bennyboy, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it starts happening more frequently again, you might want to take it to Apple for a diagnostic to see if it's releated to the RAM and eligible for replacement.

2. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Since I restored to 8.1.1, I can't get my iPhone 6 to connect to my car's Bluetooth. Does anyone know if this is a bug?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you try forgetting the car stereo in the BT settings on your phone and repairing?

4. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks, it worked. I had tried pairing it while driving. Than tried it parked. It's paired now.

5. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

I am sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I looked around and could not find anything. Is anyone else noticing the ellipsis (when the other person is typing) going away after a few seconds, never to return? I can't pinpoint when it started, but I am thinking 8.0. It is starting to get a little annoying.

- Is the person still typing?
    - Have they stopped typing and are thinking about what to way?
    - Did they change their mind and decide to go out instead of answering me?
    - Etc...

I also get my other half always sending me a "Babe ya still there?" while I am typing. (She's not the most patient person ;-) )

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I believe this has been happening before iOS 8 as well. I notice it myself. From what I have noticed, the other person is still typing, sometimes a lengthy text, and you'll see it at some point. :p

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

@JDem The iMessage ellipsis begins when the first character is typed. If the sender stops typing but does not back up to delete the showing characters, the ellipsis will continue for 60 seconds. Then it stops and there is no message. If we are messaging, and I type 1 character, then close my messages app and go to Facebook, you would be left watching the ellipsis for 60 seconds until it stops. Then you would wait a moment more for a message to appear. But it would not. If I were to type a word, then back up all the way to where no character shows, then the ellipsis stops. And again there's no message. As to what the sender is doing is a guess. They may start a message, then stop and move on to something else. They may accidentally hit a letter, then close the app, leaving you watching the ellipsis for 60 seconds. The ellipsis is not an indication that a message is incoming. It just means at least 1 character was typed. I hope that answers your question. :)
    But it's not an iOS 8 bug. It's been going on since the iMessage ellipsis was first implemented.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

#227 Ledsteplin, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Safari freezes playing YouTube videos at the m.youtube.site, maybe also opening Tumblr pages, after 8.1.3 update?

Kris posted a funny video in the "post some fun stuff here" thread. It played smoothly (as an embedded video within the eiC mobile site) by tapping on the link he included in his post. I tried to open the same video at m.youtube.com, it froze Safari. I Googled for the video so as not to go through the link he provided, tapped on it, it also froze Safari. I Googled "Wicked Games Chris Isaak", tried to play one of the results (at m.youtube.com), it also froze Safari. Force quit was required every time. Anyone else having issues playing YouTube videos on Safari after the update to 8.1.3?

Note: In all of these examples, as well as on the Tumblr page, the pages load and the videos play perfectly using the Chrome iOS browser. It is Safari that is choking on them.

#228 Rafagon, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Have you tried the YouTube app? Or better, Jasmine?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Neither. Last time I used the YouTube app was when it came bundled with iOS. If Safari doesn't get its act together, I may have to get that YouTube app. But only if YouTube links automatically launch in the app. I'll find that out if/when the time comes when I have to find another way to watch YouTube videos.

Update: My issue was resolved after power-cycling the phone. Safari is again behaving normally.

#230 Rafagon, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Forget YouTube, just get Jasmine. Apps do better for videos. Or they seem like less trouble.

• List
  12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The only advantage I see to using the official YouTube app is being able to integrate it with a Vizio smart TV (and probably many others).

• List
  13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Yeah, but will YouTube links open automatically on Jasmine? That is to say, If a friend shares a link with me to a music video on YouTube and I click on this link, will it launch Jasmine and start playing seamlessly? Also, if I'm watching a video on Jasmine, once it finishes playing, will it have a Share button to send a link to somebody else to the video I just watched? Will it Share to Facebook, Twitter, etc? Those are the things that Jasmine would have to do for me to consider using it.

Don't worry about answering those questions, I'm gonna download it and check it out and decide for myself if it's a keeper. Thanks for the heads-up!

14. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Funny you should mention that. I just got one and learned that Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Instant Video, etc. is built right in. I didn't choose the TV specifically for the smart features, but soon realized the advantages. It simplifies things a bit, and now the Xbox and Apple TV won't be getting used as often.

Back on topic; My "favorite" iOS8 bug is how deleted keyboard shortcuts magically come back unless you turn off iCloud Drive. Can anyone confirm that this has been fixed? I'm still on 8.1, is why I'm asking.

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have a number of keyboard shortcuts for many of the fractions, replacing 3/4 with ¾, 2/3 with ⅔, etc. I figured I could test it on some of these since they are rarely used (and easy to add back).

I deleted the 3/4 -> ¾ shortcut from my iPhone's list of shortcuts while I had System Preferences window open on my iMac to the corresponding screen. About five seconds after I deleted it from my iPhone, I watched as it automatically disappeared from the list of shortcuts my iMac (there was no need to refresh this window). I also did the same to the 2/3 shortcut, with the same results. It is now about ten minutes later and so far, the shortcuts haven't "come back" on either the iPhone or the iMac.

I power-cycled the iPhone and the shortcut did not come back, so I can say that yes, it appears to be working correctly now (I'm running iOS 8.1.3 on the iPhone and OS X 10.10.2 on the iMac.)

iCloud Drive remained ON during the testing.

• List
  16. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Thanks for the verification @Rafagon :)

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've been using a keyboard app called Symbols. I've found it useful and use it for a variety of things, including fractions. I currently have 3 3rd party keyboards. But I have found I can add these symbols to my shortcuts. So as soon as I enter all I want, I can delete the app. I even have the ☮ sign in my shortcuts. LOL I figure with all the messages app bugs, 1 less keyboard is good.

#237 Ledsteplin, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

This is a new one, at least for me:

Text message content is occasionally misaligned.

When viewing the text message list, a small part of the text message content touches the sending contact's photograph. Additionally, the AM/PM indicator touches the greater-than sign which one taps to reveal the full content of a text message.

However, this is remedied by forcing the screen to redraw itself ("going into" a text message [tapping the greater-than sign] and "coming back out" to the text message list).

Sample, with flaws highlighted by arrows:

aaa.jpg

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I've had that happen to me multiple times, but then it fixes itself. :p

• List
  20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I see a lot of that in settings.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)