iOS 8 bugs

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Bennyboy, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

There were people on another site complaining about battery life on 8.3 literally twenty minutes after the damned thing came out. I mean, really?

2. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I have to admit... My Battery life has dropped. I'll suffer through it.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I don't notice any difference at all since installing iOS 8.3.

[sar]But if there were, the new and improved Emoji are certainly worth it![/sar]

4. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Mine about the same or slightly better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. rollinfromhell

Gold

Sweet! I noticed a bit of a drop, by about 40 minutes. But that's only 2 charges so far. I notice if its in standby mode a long time, and you use it.. it drops a lot faster. I usually try to let that initial drop hit, so I can charge it after and get a more accurate reading.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

And often times we tend to use our device more with a new OS to check it all out. This in itself uses more battery and resources.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And Safari always seems snappier.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Y'all notice your iCloud storage says 1 gb with 200 mb available or some such amount?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429369818.880038.jpg

But then here it shows correct.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429369777.897296.jpg

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It seems iOS 8.3 is a bit confused, or its definition of Wi-Fi is not the same as mine. :D

1) 1.png separator.png 2) 2.png separator.png 3) 3.png

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Where were you during all this? Did you get the pop up while away from wifi? Then move within range? I've noticed a delay in it changing in the status bar when I go out of range, then move back in range.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I was holding the phone in my hand as I watched the events unfold before my eyes.

I was at home. I had turned Wi-Fi off in the Settings.

It happened twice: first with Numbers (233 MB) and then with Pages (265 MB)—both of the apps that you see on the final screenshot.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Do you usually turn wifi off to update or download apps? :confused:

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

No, I don't usually do that. I have a 3GB per month data quota, so why would I want to waste it on updating huge apps like Numbers and Pages? :confused:

This was an isolated case. I had turned Wi-Fi off the night before to run an LTE Speedtest. I had been concerned about unsatisfactory speed tests in my area for a long time. I forgot to turn Wi-Fi back on after that. I came to realize it was off when iOS warned me about the 100 MB limit on the size of app updates/apps. That's when I tapped on "OK" instead of "Cancel":

1.png (Incidentally, I don't get why Apple includes both an "OK" and a "Cancel" button on an informational pop-up. I mean, you're being told that the app update is not going to download because of its size: Why are you given two options, "OK" and "Cancel", if there's only one expected outcome regardless which button you tap?)

At that point, I noticed the usual clockwise sweep animation of an app being updated. I thought it was just the cancellation process, but no, the download proceeded to fruition.

After that, I did it again so I could capture a couple of screenshots of the phenomenon to post here and/or elsewhere.

If you'd like, next time I have an app update > 100MB, I will attempt to route it through the cellular connection again and capture a movie of the whole process. O_o

#273 Rafagon, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Doing speed tests on cellular uses a lot of data. It did on my phone. And I've seen others post about it. Yet some say only 10 mb, while others between 50 and 100 mb per test. Next time reset your data counter before the test and see what you get.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Just tried resetting data usage and then ran a speed test twice. First time I used 19.4MB the second time I used 17.8MB. No clue why the difference.

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Same location and same server? I wonder if the server makes a difference. I used a different one in my tests. I tested 5 servers in my front yard, and Verizon showed I used about 400 mb. But it's likely not all of that was from Speedtest.net. Most though.

17. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Before running both tests, I force quit all apps, turned off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and then ran both tests one right after the other using the same server at speedtest.net. The tests were done from the same geographical location within seconds of each other. The results were about the same for both tests; 10MBPS download and 4MPBS upload speeds.

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Maybe speeds have something to do with mb usage. Mine run 47 to 50 down and 12 up.

19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

In iOS 8.4, when listening to a song on iTunes Radio (not the new Music Streaming Service), the album cover art does not place nice with the text on the status line (i.e. the status line text color isn't adjusted to ensure readability):

IMG_2266.PNG

Another example:

album art intereferes with status line - 2.jpg

Had this been the Beatles' self-titled album (AKA the "White Album"), it would have rendered everything in the status line unreadable (white on white!).

In contrast, this is not an issue when listening to albums in one's collection. The color of text on the status line is adjusted accordingly to ensure readability when said text is superimposed over the color scheme of the currently playing album's cover art:

IMG_2272.PNG IMG_2273.PNG

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

On a positive note, iOS 8.4 seems to have addressed most of the Safari bugs I've been ranting about.