iOS 8 compatibility ( & suitability )

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by dmoskaluk, Sep 17, 2014.

1. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I realize that the iPhone 4 will not be updated to iOS 8, but that the 4s in theory will ..... I'd like some feedback from those who do the update on 4s, as I wonder if the phones operation might be compromised. I heard horror stories when iOS 7 came out, but other than the customary bug issues etc, all seems to have unfolded well. Does anyone have either positive or negative feedback after doing the update. Thanks kindly ......

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've heard the same about iOS 8 and the iPhone 4s. Arstechnica has a nice write up on iOS 8 on the iPhone 4s. There are assorted benchmarks, a list of things which won't work and their advice on whether to install iOS 8. Spoiler, they do suggest the upgrade.

3. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks Chris, and yes - I read Arstechnica's article, as well as a few others of a similar theme/genre. Since our 4S's are humming along smoothly on 7.1.1, I will, at least for now, leave well enough alone and stay status quo. I didn't do 7.1.2 because of documented issues by many users, and deep down believe 'if it ain't broke...................' particularly since many of the bells & whistles in iOS 8 either won't apply to iPhone 4s or aren't things I'd use a lot anyway. There 'may' be iPhone 6 in the future for us, but not likely this year. I remain interested in any comments from members re iOS 8 performance on any 'older' device, as I use an iPad mini ( non retina ) and my wife an iPad 2. All devices are doing well on 7.1.1, but seeing as the red 1 badge must remain on the settings icon, I simply moved the icon off the front screens. Too bad one can't inhibit this display - neat freaks feel 'sand in their shorts' seeing the prompt, but that's life :)

#3 dmoskaluk, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  4. jc555

jc555 New Member

I made the mistake of updating to IOS 8 and it has destroyed my battery life. It is now sometimes as short as 5 hours and maybe as long as 12 (not often unless I don't use the phone at all). I am not a heavy app user or emailer or internet user so this has really pissed me off. It is not possible to uninstall 8 and go back. Next time I upgrade it may very well be to an Android phone. I'm tired of Apples' attempts to force you to upgrade their products.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you are using an iPhone 5, check to see if your battery is eligible for free replacement: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/
    If it isn't, restoring or updating to iOS 8.1 will likely fix the problem.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

My iPhone 5 rarely reached 5 hours, and no it wasn't eligible for a free battery replacement. Settings and everything were checked to let minimum strain on the battery. I wouldn't worry.
    And btw, it ran great on iOS 8

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

But jc555 said it drastically decreased on iOS 8. That's not normal. It helps to know the type of usage. Five hours of LTE Safari is normal, but two hours of facebook and texting with three hours of music isn't, for example.

8. jcg555

jcg555 New Member

I have a 4S and when I said I wasn't a big user of email, internet or apps I meant I check email about 10 times a day, use Safari for no more than 30 minutes a day, check Facebook once or twice a day (spending maybe 10 minutes on it at one time) and I check Linkedin a couple times a WEEK. For example, so far today I have checked email 8-10 times, spent about 5 minutes on Facebook and checked 3 things on Safari. The real drop in battery life occurs when I use Facebook it seems. As soon as I do, battery life drops and continues to do so rapidly after I quit. Today, after turning my phone on at 6:30 am it was dead by 11:30 and it indicated 38% battery life left when it died.

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

you said Iphone 5 and I thought that's what he/she had, my bad. I heard of people having bad experiences after updating to IOS8 on the 4S I actually texted everyone I know that had a 4S and told them to hold off.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. I would hold off, too. Running iOS 7 on a 4S would be frustrating enough.

11. jcg555

jcg555 New Member

No problem. I just wish I'd gotten your text!

12. jcg555

jcg555 New Member

Your right, it was. Funny thing is I'm not really a first adopter of tech items or software as I'm not that savvy. Guess I learned my lesson!

13. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

7.1.1 is fine on 4s .... Likely missing a few 'bells and whistles' only available on 5 and 5s but for normal everyday use ( email, iMessage, Web etc ) it is stable and (at least for me) decent on battery life and speed. But it sounds like doing iOS 8 would be like a non-swimmer going into the deep end and drowning ....

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's laggy. The old hardware can't run software that is several generations ahead of it without experiencing some lag. You'll notice the difference if you test a newer device on iOS 7 or 8.

15. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I updated my wife's 4S to 8.0 and two days ago to 8.1 and she's had no issues at all.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 5

16. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Out of the now in-vogue term "An Abundance of Caution" I will hold off, but can really say that I saw no degrade in performance on the 4S ( both my wife's and mine ) with update to iOS 6 ( it shipped with iOS 5, 2+years ago ) or iOS 7.....I did wait almost 2 months to do iOS 7 last year, ( iOS 7.0.4 ) was my first, but these comments cover the 2 phones, my iPad mini ( non retina ) and my wife's iPad 2 ... Probably not being big on a pile of apps and games ( except my wife's Candy Crush addiction ) has kept our needs relatively minimal, thus any performance issues ( lagging etc ) haven't been at an issue ( yet ) .... or maybe we're just 'old and slow' ourselves, as a reflection of age and tropical living, where not much happens fast anyway :)