iOS 8 Expectations

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
We've started discussing our wish list for iOS 8, but as with previous iterations of iOS, wish lists can often result in pie in the sky like ideas that will never come to fruition. iOS 7 was a major overhaul of the OS, so it'll be years before we see any big changes. It's time to put our realistic glasses on. Putting your hopes and dreams aside, what are your actual expectations for iOS 8. If you were in Vegas, betting it all, what would you list as sure things for iOS 8. Here's my list, based on rumors and such:
  1. Healthbook is going to be the big tentpole feature. This will be front and center.
  2. Cook will admit fault with Maps and praise the team for delivering the best mapping solution available.
  3. Major new capabilities for Siri
  4. Changes to iCloud, possibly making storage pricing more competitive
  5. Increased stability throughout the OS. Faster, smoother.
  6. GameCenter will be removed, replaced by iTunes Radio
  7. Buttons introduced in iOS 7.1 will get fixed, so they don't look like crap.
  8. New wallpaper! Nothing says new operating system like new wallpaper.
  9. Announcement of 200 improvements and features -- most of which will be small. When grouped together, a nice overall upgrade.

I've set my expectations low. Healthbook is a major initiative and there's plenty to fix from iOS 7. I see iOS 8 as when Apple takes the time to polish their OS.

So real world expectations for iOS 8? What do you think?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What I'd like to see:
1. In-app and lock screen texting.
2. The ability to hide stock apps we don't use.
3. Basic customization. I'm not talking about pie in the sky full customization abilities. I'm referring to the ability to hide the dock and icon labels and shrink the icons. This would be done through the settings app.
4. The ability to disable animations all together, not just reduce them.
5. Automatically fall back to Voice Controls when the signal is lost and resume Siri when the signal is regained.
6. Centralized gestures and shortcut management.

My expectations:
1. Minor changes that won't include any of the above.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
What I'd like to see:
2. The ability to hide stock apps we don't use.
3. Basic customization. I'm not talking about pie in the sky full customization abilities. I'm referring to the ability to hide the dock and icon labels and shrink the icons. This would be done through the settings app.
4. The ability to disable animations all together, not just reduce them.
5. Automatically fall back to Voice Controls when the signal is lost and resume Siri when the signal is regained.
6. Centralized gestures and shortcut management.

My expectations:
1. Minor changes that won't include any of the above.
For #1, within the General Settings of the Messages app.. There is a quick reply from Lock Screen unless you are referring to something else.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
The more I think about it, you would think by now that Apple would give us more customization. At least at the bare minimum, hiding stock apps which has been repeated by users since earlier versions of iOS. Allowing users to put the Newsstand app in a folder now is only a start. As far as that, shoving apps in a folder is not an end all solution. It's more like a bandage.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
For #1, within the General Settings of the Messages app.. There is a quick reply from Lock Screen unless you are referring to something else.
No, I'm not talking about sliding to open the message in the Messaging app. I'm referring to actually replying while still on the lock screen and even composing and sending messages while on the lock screen. We've had this functionality via jailbreaks since 2008.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
No, I'm not talking about sliding to open the message in the Messaging app. I'm referring to actually replying while still on the lock screen and even composing and sending messages while on the lock screen. We've had this functionality via jailbreaks since 2008.
Yeah, I remember this functionality with BiteSMS. It was very convenient to send a reply. I even jailbroke my phone back in the day for this reason.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, I remember this functionality with BiteSMS. It was very convenient to send a reply. I even jailbroke my phone back in the day for this reason.
Heh. If you understood what I was talking about, then why did you say we already have that? ;) You have to jailbreak to get it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm reading too fast. In hindsight, I'd expected that these would have been released with iOS 7.
I was expecting it with iOS 4, then 5 and then I gave up that expectation. :D
I'd like to see and reply to messages from anywhere on the phone, including from within any app I may be in. I think that is part of what Europa is saying.
It's nice not to have to unlock the phone or exit apps to send texts.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
What I'd like to see:
That is great for you (I'm sure you have honest, professional co-workers) and for those who trust their phones never to fall in the hands of strangers, but let's say for whatever reason someone is at their workplace and they decide to run to the restroom real quick and leave the phone on their desk, since they're expecting to be back very quick and also perhaps they trust their co-workers.

A malicious co-worker could pick up your phone and text your husband or wife "Hey, Johnny, I can't wait to see you tonight, I'm turned on just thinking abuot the things I'm going to do to you." But your husband or wife's name isn't Johnny, and your nefarious co-worker knew this, and did it just to get you in a heap of trouble.

If lock-screen texting does become available, I would hope there's a toggle to turn it off.