iOS 8 is making my phone hot?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Got_famous06, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Got_famous06

Got_famous06 Member
    Bronze

Not sure if this is for anyone else, but before 8 i didn't really have a problem with my phone getting hot. i was jailbroken and had all kinds of things going on. now i just updated and looking at text just makes my phone hot. not playing games or going on the Internet. I've just been texting and my phone is hot.

#1 Got_famous06, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That's very odd. You say just looking at text messages makes it hot? Have you tried a simple reboot or turn it off and back on?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Let the battery run down and power itself off and then recharge.

4. fsas06

fsas06 Member
    Silver

Finally found my old account. Anyways just texting was making my phone hot, battery also looks to be going down fast. iv turned off the motion and some location settings that i had on before iOS 8. seems to have helped. and ill run the battery down and see if that helps, but I'm getting the iPhone 6 Plus on Friday and giving my 5 to my mom do i don't think she uses her phones as much it might not be a problem in the next 3/4 days

#4 fsas06, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  5. xx.abi.xx

xx.abi.xx New Member

I downloaded iOS 8 last night and since then, my phone battery is absolutely awful.

Usually lasts me about 14/16 hours before needing charging but it's lasted me about 8 hours today.

Also, I've had the exact same problem as FSAS06... my phone gets very hot just from checking texts for a few minutes or being on a call for 1 minute. I have never had this problem before!

Any suggestions???

6. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Check your battery usage:

Settings > General > Usage > Battery Usage

That will show which apps use your battery up, with the most significant contributor at the top, ordered accordingly.

Second, try turning off Background App Refresh:

Settings > General > Background App Refresh

That can help reduce battery consumption significantly.

Third, if you're not in an LTE area, turn off LTE:

Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE

It'll prevent your phone from searching LTE signals if there are none available, thus saving battery life.

Fourth, close apps that you don't use very often by double-clicking the home button. Do NOT close apps you use often, unless you're certain they're causing battery drainage. It takes more power to re-open an app from scratch than to simply resume from a suspended state.

Fifth, turn down your screen brightness. The screen brightness is actually the largest contributor to your iPhones battery life. If it's always at 100%, don't expect it to last you more than a few hours under heavy usage.

Last but not least, do a hard reset. Press and hold the power button and home button together until your iPhone turns off, and then back on. Keep holding until you see the Apple logo from when you turn your phone on.

7. xx.abi.xx

xx.abi.xx New Member

Hi,

I've tried all this and it's not helped. Just going through the settings made my phone very hot to touch.

8. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

What kind of iPhone do you have? Also maybe you should try a DFU restore, and wipe the phone clean and see what happens.

9. xx.abi.xx

xx.abi.xx New Member

I have the iPhone 5s, only a few months old. Will try that, thanks.

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm not sure what apps you are running or what kind of usage is on your phone but my battery life is great with iOS 8.

IMG_0279.PNG

11. xx.abi.xx

xx.abi.xx New Member

I was just using the IPhone Messages app for this to happen.

But, I did a complete system reset and it's fixed the issue so no more getting hot and draining battery :-D

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Oh, Dear! What to do, what to do!
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411265009.364542.jpg

:D

13. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

I had similar battery drainage problem with my iphone 5 with ios 8 unless i figured out that it is the "background app refresh" which is making my handset hot because it is making sure those apps are connected to the internet to gather updates continously and running in the background. If you disable this option then your battery wont drain and handset will not get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums