iOS 8 Screenshots

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chris, Mar 13, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

These are allegedly early iOS 8 screenshots. There are four new apps that Apple looks to be testing. Healthbook is the first, which is similar to what we've seen with the Passbook icon. Other apps that are new include iOS versions of Preview and Text Edit. In addition, there is a new Tips app, which seems like a smart idea. Why not include a continuously updated app that provides people with tips on how to use their iPhones and iPads.

ios-8-screenshots-1.jpg

You have to remember that by the time iOS 8 gets releases, these will have a significant amount of polish. You can also expect a fresh wallpaper, because nothing says new update like an Apple issued wallpaper.

Thoughts on the screenshots and the new apps?

This post also kicks off our iOS 8 forums. If this discussion doesn't fit your comment, I'd encourage you to start up a new conversation. Spring has almost sprung. It's time to talk iOS 8!

#1 chris, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So four new stock apps? When are they going to let us hide the stock apps we don't use? My "unused" folder of stock apps grows larger every year...

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Actually, it could be five if they break iTunes Radio out of the Music app as rumored.

#3 chris, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm fine with them launching all of this stuff as some people will use them, but it's ridiculous that they don't let us toggle them off or uninstall them.

#4 Europa, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think they are afraid of all the support calls, visits. I lost my Safari icon! Heck, I bet they get those now.

I agree, it should be an advanced feature. Maybe they add it to Accessibility, which has become the dumping ground for miscellaneous features that users want and Apple is compelled to offer.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It doesn't have to be that difficult. Just let us delete them like any other app and download them through the App Store if we want them back.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's beginning to look a lot like Android with the carrier bloatware. It's Apple bloatware that we can't remove.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Apple, allowing people to delete stock apps. :eek: I think that might be up there allowing theming. I don't see it happening.

I completely agree. Now, they can and might offer these apps via the App Store. In the case of iTunes Radio, if it does break free, it most certainly will be a stock app. They want to boost awareness and advertising revenues. Pulling it from music and requiring users download it, would be counter to their goals.

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yawn looks like iOS 7 to me.... Underwhelming

#9 liberated, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It looks to me the changes are all for Apple's benefit, with not much for the users. I'm not thrilled with 5 new stock apps wasting more of my internal storage. And is this where the full page video iAds begin? :cautious:

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Wow. More crap I can hide in a folder.

12. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

is it me or is Apple seriously dropping the damn ball man.

They aren't doing jack crap, nothing innovative or useful for the users.

I bet iPhone 6 will be the usual, ".000008" thinner, all new "revolutionary" app (car app lol) and thats about it outside of some more useless apps, slightly higher megapixel camera, and a screen size thats 4.7" but definitely not a 5" screen. Oh yeah, faster processor too. Thats about it.

I don't know wtf is going on with Apple man, they seriously are not doing anything exciting or new or great anymore. They are just status quo with minor minor tweaks.

I don't expect iOS8 to be anything crazy because iOS7 for them was already a massive jump so they should ride that boat for another year before they add anything "decently good" to the iOS.

Sad days, much like the Lakers.

13. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm not too terribly impressed with what I have seen so far of iOS8. It's about time to give us more control over the apps that are already pre-loaded with the phone. I've had to put them all in a folder and forget that they are even there until that one day (which usually is never) that I need to use one of the apps. We definitely don't need any more apps as there is already a plethora out there. I'd like to see a toggle for stock apps and more UI control. iOS8 to me is just an "upgraded" version of iOS7.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

But at least the limit on apps stored in folder was upped to infinity (I haven't personally tested that this works flawlessly; expect a crash/respring if you put more than 1000 apps in any given folder). Additionally, you only have to look at nine of those unused apps at any given moment... and that's only when you tap on the folder to "open" it. The tiny app icons are unobtrusive when the app folder is "minimized".

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I know. That's what I do. I would just prefer to not see them at all.

#16 Europa, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

What would Naps do if he saw you splitting your infinitives like that? :D

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm leaning towards nothing.

20. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You're probably right, he's not as overly zealous as I am...

This also means he will live a longer and happier life than I ;)