iOS 8/Yosemite feature "Handoff" may be limited to Macs that support Bluetooth LE

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If your favorite iOS 8 feature is the iOS 8/Yosemite joint feature "Handoff," then you may need a Mac that supports Bluetooth LE (Bluetooth low energy, which is implemented by the Bluetooth 4.0 [and later] specification).

A story appeared briefly in an English-langauge website stating as much, but then the story was pulled. However, Google's cache managed to capture the story before it was pulled.

Incidentally, the original story which this website used as their source, in German, is still online (English translation). It also states that another feature, AirDrop (specifically, Mac-to-iDevice AirDrop), may only be supported by Macs with Bluetooth LE. Fortunately, the verbiage that was used indicates uncertainty.

If you have intel to the contrary, please share.

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I wonder if it will work with USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongles.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Things may change before the final release of Yosemite and iOS 8, but as of now, a dongle does not appear to help.

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I think any of the newer Macs should already support Bluetooth LE. It's a feature I would like to see added really soon.

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yeah, the point is older macs will not have the feature available.

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Booooo! I guess I won't be able to take advantage of handoff. Oh well. The iPhone 6 better be amazing besides the bigger screen and incremental updates.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Incremental updates?

Voice and audio texting

In-app texting.

Camera APIs being opened to developers to unlock almost all manual settings

Third-party keyboard availability

Wifi calling for networks that support it

In my opinion, not all iOS 8 updates are "incremental."

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

"Incremental" updates would mean the same amount or size with each update. It could be a lot or a little. But each update would be equal. I think what you're talking about are some of those itsy-bitsy updates. iOS 8 won't be itsy-bitsy. :)

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just hoping iPhone 6 has some amazing features that we don't already have on the iPhone 5S with iOS 8. It's nice to get things like native audio texting but 3rd party apps have had this available such as Squawk and HeyTell which I've been using for a few years now. It reminds me of Nextel PTT. The in app texting is nice to finally have. I'm really hoping the camera's API being opened up to 3rd party devs will allow us to use their features through extensibility on the stock camera. 3rd party keyboard is always welcome because I really like Fleksy. Why wouldn't all networks allow WiFi calling? I would think they would push this to take some load off themselves.

10. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

We already know what iOS 8 is giving us on the current devices but what I am hoping for is amazing hardware on iPhone 6 that will give us features which we have not seen yet on iOS 8. We know it will be faster and have a bigger screen. I'm impatiently waiting.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm hoping that the iPhone 6 will be half of an exciting iPhone/iwatch convo. With certain features exclusive to eachother

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'm still extremely skeptical about this whole smart watch thing. But if anyone can make it interesting, it's Apple, i guess.