iOS 9.1, featuring taco and middle finger Emoji, has been released

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Apple's full release notes are below:
  • Live Photos now intelligently senses when you raise or lower your iPhone, so that Live Photos will automatically not record these movements
  • Over 150 new emoji characters with full support for Unicode 7.0 and 8.0 emojis
  • Improved stability including CarPlay, Music, Photos, Safari, and Search
  • Improved performance while in Multitasking UI
  • Fixes an issue that could cause Calendar to become unresponsive in Month view
  • Fixes an issue that prevented Game Center from launching for some users
  • Resolves an issue that zoomed the content of some apps
  • Resolves an issue that could cause an incorrect unread mail count for POP mail accounts
  • Fixes an issue that prevented users from removing recent contacts from new mail or messages
  • Fixes an issue that caused some messages to not appear in Mail search results
  • Resolves an issue that left a gray bar in the body of an Audio Message
  • Fixes an issue that caused activation errors on some carriers
  • Fixes an issue that prevented some apps from updating from the App Store

Security-related release notes can be found here.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
OMG! If I didn't log in to the eiC I would not have known this update was available now. I did not get a badge on my Settings App on my iP6S+ or my iPad Air 2. :confused: Weird!

Anyhow, YAY!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm downloading and installing right now!

Oh I'm so happy to get these new emoji's (y) yeah, and the other stuff too! LOL!!!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just updated to 9.1. The copy bug in Safari on certain websites was not fixed. I reported the bug to Apple, but they failed to fix it in 9.1. Also, while we can now disable contact photos in messaging, you are still forced to see photos or initials on the lock screen when on a call. I don't use contact photos and the initials irritate the hell out of me. We have hundreds of worthless emojis, but we still don't have facepalm and fingers crossed. I'm going to test FaceTime Audio tonight and see if Bluetooth is still broken (the audio you send out is currently too terrible to use over Bluetooth). If that's not fixed, it's a worthless update for me.

EDIT: The audio you send out on FaceTime Audio still sounds terrible if you use Bluetooth.

Last edited:

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
Overall I find 9.1 runs a little more smoothly on my 6s Plus. I have not experienced any of the bugs reported here, but then I haven't used the features causing the problems.

radtechy01

Bronze
Jun 1, 2015
I've been waiting for a middle finger one for the longest time.

Also 47seijar do you notice any problems with the auto rotate getting stuck? Like in my other thread with the 9.1?

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Just updated to 9.1. The copy bug in Safari on certain websites was not fixed. I reported the bug to Apple, but they failed to fix it in 9.1. Also, while we can now disable contact photos in messaging, you are still forced to see photos or initials on the lock screen when on a call. I don't use contact photos and the initials irritate the hell out of me. We have hundreds of worthless emojis, but we still don't have facepalm and fingers crossed. I'm going to test FaceTime Audio tonight and see if Bluetooth is still broken (the audio you send out is currently too terrible to use over Bluetooth). If that's not fixed, it's a worthless update for me.

EDIT: The audio you send out on FaceTime Audio still sounds terrible if you use Bluetooth.
Would using a black or white image for a contact photo be perhaps less irritating? Or maybe a pic of a phone?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I'm updating to iOS 9.1 right now via iTunes. It's a 2.22 GB download for an iPhone 6s Plus.

For some reason unbeknownst to me, the download speed is quite slow. I ran a speedtest—with the software download is in progress—and my speeds are just fine.

Speedtest with download of iOS 9.1 Software Update in progress:

st.PNG

Unexplainably slow download despite fast Wi-Fi speedtest:

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 10.13.04 PM.png

I guess everyone just decided to download the iOS 9.1 update, over 24 hours after its release, at precisely the time I chose to do it. :D

No biggie, all worth it to get those taco and middle finger emojis.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'm updating to iOS 9.1 right now via iTunes. It's a 2.22 GB download for an iPhone 6s Plus.

For some reason unbeknownst to me, the download speed is quite slow. I ran a speedtest—with the software download is in progress—and my speeds are just fine.

Speedtest with download of iOS 9.1 Software Update in progress:

View attachment 43387

Unexplainably slow download despite fast Wi-Fi speedtest:

View attachment 43386

I guess everyone just decided to download the iOS 9.1 update, over 24 hours after its release, at precisely the time I chose to do it. :D

No biggie, all worth it to get those taco and middle finger emojis.
Download speeds also depend on the host server.