iOS 9.1, featuring taco and middle finger Emoji, has been released

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
No new emoji's found on my update yet. Wanting the taco n middle finger. When they coming???
Hi @tharley46, I understand your excitement about the new taco and middle finger emojis in iOS 9.1, and I hope that by now you've successfully located them!

If you use them often enough, they'll eventually end up in the "FREQUENTLY USED" section of your emoji keyboard. It's easy enough to find and use them from there. But if you ever want to use them without even having to switch over to your emoji keyboard, tapping on the emoji, and then switching back to the English keyboard (or whichever your main language on your iPhone is), then you should definitely think about configuring these emojis as text replacements.

To do that, go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement and add a new Text Replacement. A Text Replacement consists of two parts: a "Shortcut" and a "Phrase". When set up correctly, every time you type the "Shortcut", regardless of which app you happen to be typing in, the shortcut will automatically be expanded into the "Phrase".

For my purposes, I chose ":MID" to be replaced by the middle finger emoji, and I chose ":TAC" to be replaced by the taco emoji. Below is a screenshot of how it'll look once it's correctly set up. I added red arrows pointing to the text replacements in question.

You do not have to use my shortcut; you can choose any shortcut you like. For example, you might like "%MID" for your middle finger emoji and "%TACO" for your taco emoji. The choice is completely up to you. The important thing is to choose a shortcut that you're not likely to need to type for any other purpose! So, for example, if you often Tweet to your Twitter followers that you are eating a taco and follow it with #taco, then don't make #taco your shortcut for the taco emoji!

Should you have any questions, please feel free to reply here and I'll do my best to help you out promptly.

TR.png

tharley46

Jul 17, 2014
I figured out why I wasn't seeing the new emoji's, dang I was using 3rd party keyboards. When I changed to stock, there they were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Would using a black or white image for a contact photo be perhaps less irritating? Or maybe a pic of a phone?
Great idea. A solid white photo for the contact photo means that nothing would be displayed.

Or, since she's into astronomy, she could assign a different celestial body to every person in her contact list.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Great idea. A solid white photo for the contact photo means that nothing would be displayed.

Or, since she's into astronomy, she could assign a different celestial body to every person in her contact list.
Thanks for the ideas, but I don't want photos of anything and I don't want initials. I want the name to be centered on the call screen. This was possible up until iOS 9 as long as you didn't have contact photos. I'll just have to get used to the initials while waiting for new jailbreak and a way to disable them.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Hi @tharley46, I understand your excitement about the new taco and middle finger emojis in iOS 9.1, and I hope that by now you've successfully located them!

If you use them often enough, they'll eventually end up in the "FREQUENTLY USED" section of your emoji keyboard. It's easy enough to find and use them from there. But if you ever want to use them without even having to switch over to your emoji keyboard, tapping on the emoji, and then switching back to the English keyboard (or whichever your main language on your iPhone is), then you should definitely think about configuring these emojis as text replacements.

To do that, go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement and add a new Text Replacement. A Text Replacement consists of two parts: a "Shortcut" and a "Phrase". When set up correctly, every time you type the "Shortcut", regardless of which app you happen to be typing in, the shortcut will automatically be expanded into the "Phrase".

For my purposes, I chose ":MID" to be replaced by the middle finger emoji, and I chose ":TAC" to be replaced by the taco emoji. Below is a screenshot of how it'll look once it's correctly set up. I added red arrows pointing to the text replacements in question.

You do not have to use my shortcut; you can choose any shortcut you like. For example, you might like "%MID" for your middle finger emoji and "%TACO" for your taco emoji. The choice is completely up to you. The important thing is to choose a shortcut that you're not likely to need to type for any other purpose! So, for example, if you often Tweet to your Twitter followers that you are eating a taco and follow it with #taco, then don't make #taco your shortcut for the taco emoji!

Should you have any questions, please feel free to reply here and I'll do my best to help you out promptly.

View attachment 43388
You're the only person I know who needs a shortcut to a taco. :D

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't get why people get so excited over these emojis. I use a handful of the standard ones, but none of these added emojis have ever been a big deal to me. But for some reason, most people care about them and Apple caught onto that and now uses it as a way to get people to upgrade. I've read about people who couldn't care less about updating until they hear there are new emojis and then freak out and update immediately. What I really want is for the standard features to work consistently well and the bugs to be fixed. I'd be pretty happy if there was that and the ability to kill the annoying animations and icon labels and make that eyesore of a dock transparent.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I don't get why people get so excited over these emojis. I use a handful of the standard ones, but none of these added emojis have ever been a big deal to me. But for some reason, most people care about them and Apple caught onto that and now uses it as a way to get people to upgrade. I've read about people who couldn't care less about updating until they hear there are new emojis and then freak out and update immediately. What I really want is for the standard features to work consistently well and the bugs to be fixed. I'd be pretty happy if there was that and the ability to kill the annoying animations and icon labels and make that eyesore of a dock transparent.
Wasn't iOS 9 supposed to be the "stability" and "bug fix" release?

iOS is starting to feel like Android, at least to me.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
But consistency, bug fixes and usability are SO uncool compared to 150 new emojis!
PLEASE read with heavy sarcasm, as that's how I meant for it to sound

radtechy01

Bronze
Jun 1, 2015
I agree but the finger one needed to come. I'm happy with the accelerometer issue I was having seems to not be bad anymore and the gray bar that was covering my text field is gone that's awesome for this update as far as I'm concerned

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
At least I can stop using \m/ now ;)
http://emojipedia.org/sign-of-the-horns/
Edit: The hand is technically facing the wrong way though for it to be symbolic of the Rock on / heavy metal signage.
The way it is, forward facing hand, is a way to ward off the evil eye (malocchio).
But I'll take it LOL

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
At least I can stop using \m/ now ;)
http://emojipedia.org/sign-of-the-horns/
Edit: The hand is technically facing the wrong way though for it to be symbolic of the Rock on / heavy metal signage.
The way it is, forward facing hand, is a way to ward off the evil eye (malocchio).
But I'll take it LOL
Being a Texas Longhorn fan, it looks like the "Hook 'Em Horns" to me. :D

hookem1.jpg

In this pic Matthew Mcconaughey is doing it wrong, lol. ;)

hookem2.jpg

Edit: Butthead has been doing it wrong too!

beavis-and-butthead-742436.gif

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
How do you know he wasn't trying to ward off the evil eye? Did you speak with him? :D

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
I'm with Europa 100%. Couple of smiley faces is more than enough. Give me a perfect phone/computer to use that has a great battery, and I'm a happy camper.