iOS 9.2 slow download speed

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by TarekElsakka, Jan 17, 2016.

1. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Hello there

I am currently running iOS 9.2 on an iPhone 6 Plus and I am experiencing rather slow download speeds over Wi-Fi. Is that a known issue with iPhones in general? I don't remember the last time I actually used an iPhone on a daily basis, but I just don't remember downloading on Wi-Fi being that slow.

When I am using HSPA, it downloads things really fast from the App Store, but it takes quite longer than expected when using Wi-Fi. And yes, my Wi-Fi connection is fine as tested on all my other devices, including Android phones.

Any ideas? I remember reading somewhere that there was a jailbreak tweak to remove or alter the download speed cap on iOS? Could it have anything to do with that?

Thanks guys

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There's a download speed cap on iOS?

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Mine varies here and there, but stays about the same most of the time. My wifi is with Comcast. Signal strength can make a difference. Metal can interfere with wifi signal. Have you tried a reboot on your modem/router? Also Reset Network Settings?

4. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Yes, I've tried doing what you mentioned to no avail. It's slow on both Wi-Fi bands, 2.4 and 5.

Supposedly, yes. I only read it online, though, so it may not be authentic.

#4 TarekElsakka, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't know of any download speed caps. Apple does have a max of 100 mb download size for cellular in the App Store. But I don't know if that applies to everything. My best download speed on WiFi is around 88 Mbps. Comcast says I should get 75 Mbps. It seems upload is capped. I never go above 12.2 Mbps upload. I've seen others get over 100 Mbps download.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This might be your ISP. They sometimes throttle speeds of certain downloads in attempt to decrease torrenting by slowing it down. This can affect certain other things such as FaceTime video, App Store downloads and email downloads.

1. Is it only slow when downloading from the App Store?
    2. Are you able to download from mobile Safari at high speeds?
    3. Are you able to download email attachments at high speeds and is the FaceTime video quality that you send out good quality?
    4. What are your Speedtest results?
    5. Have you tested another iOS device on your WiFi network?
    6. Are you able to download at high speeds from the App Store on your computer?
    7. Were your speeds better on 9.1?

7. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

1. No. I've tried downloading from within some other applications with the same result.
    2. I have not tried, but I will and get back to you.
    3. I have not tried FaceTime yet but email attachments are slow as well.
    4. I have a 4MB DSL connection and the speed test gives 3.46Mbps download and 0.70Mbps upload, therefore the speed test results are fine whereas downloading from the App Store specifically is extremely slow.
    5. I have not but I will do.
    6. Yes, I am.
    7. I just recently started using this device and I had to immediately restore it and of course upgrade to the latest version 9.2 and it definitely wasn't by choice.

Thanks for your replies, guys. I'll get back with more information.

And thank you, Mindi!!