iOS 9.3 to offer "Night Shift" for alleged better sleep

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rafagon, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Blue light can negatively impact sleep. To counteract this, apps like f.lux and clones thereof have attempted to reduce emission of blue light from iDevices, automatically kicking in around bedtime. Unfortunately, these have heretofore required jailbreaking your device or installation via lengthy or unorthodox (or, at the very least, non-Apple-sanctioned) means, some of which may be overly complicated for the non-tech-savvy.

cmo-frustration-100532646-primary.idge.jpg
    Above: Non-tech-savvy user exhibiting frustration
    while attempting to side-load an app to his iPhone.

iOS 9.3 will attempt to bring this blue light-reducing feature to the masses with "Night Shift," allowing users of non-jailbroken devices to take advantage of the feature. This will ultimately lead to millions of people sleeping better, and reduced workplace grumpiness.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Not to mention a plus anytime for those of us with eye issues. If this works well, I'll have it on at noon!

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I use the jailbreak version and it really saves eye strain at night. I've also side-loaded a similar app on a stock iPhone.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Where did you hear that it was overly complicated? Side loading with the non-jailbreak versions on stock iPhones with Xcode on a Mac was very easy. It only took a minute or so. I used two different versions (Goodnight and GammaThingy) back before the iOS 9.02 jailbreak came out. I'm not sure if either still works.

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Goodnight quit working for me after I updated to 9.2. Maybe because the update got rid of the developer profile. I haven't tried re-installing it but it's supposedly compatible with 9.2.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Not for any of us eiC regulars, of course. That's a given. :D

But I know some non-tecchies who might get overwhelmed when they see they have to follow more than three or four straightforward steps:

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 8.01.57 PM.png

Or, heck, they might even be capable of following the steps, but not have access to an OS X machine in order to use Xcode.

It's for those folks that this "Night Shift" feature baked right into iOS will come in especially handy.

7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I just re-installed GoodNight. Piece of cake. It works well and there are some updated features that weren't in the previous version.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it becoming a stock feature. The more stock features the better. There is less of a need to jailbreak each time Apple implements one of these jailbreak features. I was just saying I disagree with you regarding the difficulty level of side loading tweaks. Goodnight and Gammythingy only take a minute once you have Xcode installed. Yes, you need a Mac, but you definitely don't need to be tech-savvy and it's not overly complicated, as you stated. I was actually amazed by how quick and easy they were.

9. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I have the jailbreak tweak too but it doesn't work. Auto brightness is off in settings. Should it be on?

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It works fine for me and auto brightness is on. Is it enabled in the f.lux app?

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here are a lot more details on that Night Shift mode.

Be advised that the simple task of changing screen colors from white to orange at a specified time will require the unparalleled horsepower that only a 64-bit processor can provide (as far as Apple claims), so not all iDevices capable of handling iOS 9.3 will be able to offer Night Shift. Am I trying to imply something? Maybe. :)

nightshiftmodecomparison-800x600.jpg

Above: Warm orange so you can sleep, cool white to wake you up in the morning. Photo courtesy MacRumors.

Those of you using 32-bit iDevices, you can use the following software patch (does not require jailbreaking) in order to sleep soundly regardless of how long you use your iDevice at bedtime:

Unknown.jpeg
    (Warning: May cause sleepwalking, sleep driving.)

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Or you can nut up and side-load Goodnight to your stock iPhone, assuming you have a Mac.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Naw, that would result in extreme frustration. :D
    cmo-frustration-100532646-primary.idge.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That was a good read; thanks for sharing! They said they would update the post if Apple responds to their query about the matter, so I'm looking forward to see what, if anything, Apple has to say.

It states that the f.lux app was banned for using private APIs. Since this violated the Developer Program agreement, it is my opinion that Apple was in the right for doing so. However, when Apple implements Night Shift in iOS 9.3, then if (and only if) they create public APIs for developers to allow that functionality in their apps, at that time they should (in my opinion) allow the app back into the App Store.

Can Apple legally "steal" the idea for a blue-light-reducing app without compensating the developers? I do not know. Siri originally was an standalone app made by Siri Inc., and Apple acquired that company (for more than $200 million) prior to baking Siri into iOS.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The f.lux creators weren't the first to develop it and it wasn't their original idea. It's been available on computers for years. There's nothing they can do. Yes, they broke Apple's developer terms. No, Apple wouldn't be stealing it.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

This Forbes article has food for thought about Apple’s new Night Shift mode.

Note: The Forbes site seems highly reluctant to show you the article unless you turn off your content blocker(s). As such, here is the full text of the article presented without the hassle: