iOS 9.3

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rafagon, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hey, friends! Did you update to iOS 9.3 successfully?

If so, please share your exprience(s) below.

According to The Verge, iOS 9.3 is available now with new Night Shift feature! Please share your experiences with this nifty new feature below.

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If you are updating to iOS 9.3 via iTunes, then you’re looking at a 2.27 GB software update (for an iPhone 6s Plus):

2.27 GB.png

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Good luck to all; please report back if you enconter any issues and I will do my best to help you resolve same.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

5. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

iPhone 6s Plus 128GB
    Verizon

I just did the 9.3 update OTA over LTE. Took maybe 15 minutes. The new fearures like WiFi Calling, Nightshade, etc, are all off by default and must be turned on manually.

I just updated and the phone now restarts pretty quickly - less than 30 seconds. Probably closer to 20 seconds. The only glitchesI notice are:

1. A lag/stutter when opening apps from the home screen. It was always so smooth and fluid before, but this may go away after a while. Hopefully it's just the phone getting used to the new OS.

2. Couldn't join public WiFi networks immediately after doing the update. Both the local AT&T store's free wireless and Google Starbucks

6. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Unrelated to my iOS 9.3 issues, my home network was acting up. I have restarted my router and things seem back to normal over my home network. Lets see if a solid WiFi connection helps my iPhone sort itself out.

I turned on "Reduce Motion" in settings and that seems to have eliminated the stutter when opening apps.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

8. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Yup. So I moved my notes I need locked to iCloud. Wish it would work on all notes though. Maybe in the future.

9. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

12 hours later and all the minor issues have sorted themselves out. Connecting to public WiFi networks is smooth and maybe even faster that on iOS 9.2.1, and the stutter opening apps is gone as well. I turned off "Reduce Motion" like I had previously and it's smooth as silk. Dare I say 'snappy'? :)

Some apps had background refresh enabled so I toggled them back off. I'm thinking my issues were a case of the new OS needing time to index and check app dependencies, etc. 9.3 is fantastic! And while it's only subjective at this point, it feels like battery life has improved noticeably.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Why turn background app refresh off for those apps? It helps the apps run in the background more efficiently.

11. NeilL

NeilL New Member

After updating to 9.3 I went looking to set Night Shift to start/stop at sunset/sunrise. Looking under Settings | Display & Brightness | Night Shift all I find are the options to manually turn it on or schedule Night Shift. Under schedule I can set a start/end time but nothing that would seem to indicate an automatic on at sunset and off at sunrise.

Is there another setting someplace that is needed to enable that feature or have I just missed it someplace.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Found it!
    Go here, set scheduled, tap on time.
    [​IMG]

Then check as wanted.
    [​IMG]

#13 Ledsteplin, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  13. NeilL

NeilL New Member

I picked that information off of various pre-release discussions. For example (I can't post a URL so ) macrumors.com how-to/use-ios-9-3-night-shift-mode/ from MacRumors. All the ones I found showed usage examples that looked like this.

I assume from your response that you only see the schedule on/off time options like I'm seeing.

14. NeilL

NeilL New Member

Ah ... I had disabled the use of location services for setting the time zone to save battery some long time ago (Settings | Privacy | Location Services | System Services | Setting Time Zone). With that enabled I now get the sunrise/sunset option for scheduling.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

At first. But I looked further. See above.

16. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I've had no problems with iOS 9.3 so far and am extremely happy with the idea of being able to arrange notes alphabetically (finally, it's about darn time!!!) and to a lesser extent the ability to lock notes as needed. Night shift?, kind of a yawner however, no pun intended.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Anyone else feel that locked notes shouldn't be deletable? At least not without first being unlocked.

The assumption is that if you locked a note, it contains important information. Allowing anyone to delete it seems counterintuitive.

Of course, the unauthorized deletion can simply be prevented by keeping the phone itself locked.

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Night Shift is very cool indeed (or, should I say, it’s “warm”, hehehe, get it?), but I wish there were varying levels of color temperature based on what I can only describe as a "multi-tiered schedule."

For example:

Tier 1, from 7 PM to 8 PM, I want the display’s color temperature to be warmer than during the daytime, but not too warm. I want it to be very close to normal.
    Tier 2, from 8 PM to 9 PM, I want the display’s color temperrature to be warmer than Tier 1, but not as warm as Tier 3.
    Tier 3, from 9 PM to 10 PM, I want the display’s color temperature to be warmer than Tier 2, but not as warm as Tier 4.
    Tier 4, from 10 PM to 6 AM, I want the display’s color tempeature to be so frickin’ hot that merely looking at my iPhone immediately puts me to sleep. The phone then literally falls out of my hands, moves a few inches away from me (this could be achieved via a magnetic field) so I don’t crush it overnight, and the power cable automatically reaches out creepily to the phone’s Lightning port and plugs itself into the port, à la self-tying shoelaces.

19. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold