iOS 9 Bugs

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Europa, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

On 9.0.2 I've noticed that the YouTube play button appears unresponsive. I don't think I tried it on 9.0 or 9.1. If I tap it about ten times, I will finally see the spinning dots start circling and then the video will start a moment or two later. I've also found that if I press the play button once and wait five full seconds, the spinning circle will start and the video will play even though the screen appeared to not register pressing the play button. However, sometimes that will not work and I'll have to press it again and wait another five seconds for it to respond to the tap. Since I don't know if it will work if I wait five seconds, I end up pressing it ten or so times in a row and then it finally starts to load. I've tried different pressures and long taps as well as pressing above and below the button, but it continues to be unresponsive or have the five-second delay in response. This doesn't happen when the videos are cached. It's just with videos I haven't watched yet. YouTube videos play fine in Twitter, so it appears to be a Safari bug. I've done several hard resets and it is occurring on fast WiFi. It's not slow to play the videos; it's just slow to register the tap/very laggy in response to the tap. My screen and response time seems fine with everything else.

Is anyone else experiencing this lag with the play button in YouTube on Mobile Safari?

Copying text is also buggy on Mobile Safari. Dragging the top grab bar results in it selecting the entire page of text and I cannot copy at all at times. I know others are experiencing this one, so I submitted a bug report.

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I just tested this for you. The YouTube app is fine for me as is YouTube on Safari. I tired several videos both in the app and via Safari and I am not seeing any lag at all from either..

iPhone 6S on iOS 9.0.2

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I figured it out the YouTube problem the moment I installed mobile Chrome to test this on an alternate browser. The YouTube play button worked fine in Chrome and the first thing I saw was, "Your video will play after this ad." It wasn't a Safari bug. It's my ad-blocker. Duh! You can't have 1Blocker installed on your phone without side effects in YouTube! I disabled my ad blocker and there is no delay in YouTube on Safari - it goes straight to ads. Joy. :D I feel so stupid for not realizing that I wasn't getting YouTube ads after my delays. Not sure which is worse, ads or a delay, but I'm leaning towards the delay. I didn't see a setting to exclude YouTube, so I'm deleting the ad blocker for now.

Still having the copying problem in Safari, though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Ah, that explains what I experienced a day or two ago but, on the otherhand, I'm not sure I want to disbale my blocker. Being a heavy user of Overcast, I appreciate Marco Arment so much that I have to rethink the whole notion of using a blocker and what it does to small and independent content providers; especially the ones that I happen to like. Decisions, decisions ...
    YMMV

5. macscac

macscac Member
    Bronze

very unhappy with ios9 actually. my 6+ was a perfect phone until I updated. Now it is slow and errors often.
    I get mysterious microphone bubbles that cover my text message (text) box that don't go away until I force close the app
    I get a phone call and the voicemails do not show up for hours and hours.
    when I close something and go to my main screen, i have to press an app icon 2 or 3 times before it acknowledges me and opens the app
    emails with spreadsheet attachments take minutes to load...

it just seems like my perfectly good phone has gone to sh*t and I'm quite upset over it.
    I am going to transfer all my photos off the phone and try a full reset and re-install. I am hoping that this corrects the problem

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I haven't experienced the delay in Safari with YouTube videos yet (I'm using the Purify content blocker). But if I do, I will know what's causing it, thanks to @Europa. Myself, I'll keep the content blocker on and let the delay happen. I can use the few moments of quiet time for self-reflection, meditation, and other crap like that. :D

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I wouldn't mind a few seconds of silence if there was some sort of feedback that it registered the touch. Since it doesn't let you know if it activated the play button, you have to repeatedly push it. Pushing it and waiting doesn't always work.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here's a significant bug that occurs occasionally, and it brings my productivity to a grinding halt every time it happens. Perhaps you've experienced it.

When you go to Settings > General (or any other submenu within Settings, for that matter), there should be a "button" that says "< Settings" at the upper left-hand corner, effectively functioning as a "back" button so that you can navigate around the Settings app without having to start at the top after using one of the submenus. I know everyone's familiar with it, but this is how it looks:

right.PNG

Sometimes, it fails to appear altogether, and ends up in the center of the screen performing no function whatsoever. You're left in "Settings > General" with no way to go back to the main "Settings" screen:

wrong.PNG

The solution? I had to invoke the task switcher and flick the card for the Settings app upward in order to force-quit the Settings app like some sort of troglodyte.

9. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I've noticed a bug that occurs when I view the Recents tab in the Phone app*. The Recents tab has the option of viewing "All" or "Missed." Typically I only use the "All" view so that is what always shows up when I go to the Recents tab. The bug is that when I open the Recents tab to the "All" view, the "Edit" button is absent from the upper right corner of the screen. To get it to show up I have to go to the "Missed" view, where the "Edit" button shows up, then go back to "All" to clear the recent calls list.

*Note that this bug occurs after the iPhone has been rebooted or the Phone app has been force quit. The "Edit" button persists once it's been "woken up," so to speak.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

@Rafagon I've never seen that on my 6s Plus. Does a hard reset not fix it permanently? You might try going to Accessibility and toggling on "button shapes" and see if that works better. Otherwise, you're still within your 14 day return period. If it's a hardware problem, it shouldn't matter.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

When I checked that, it was on "All". There was no "edit" button. I switched to "missed", and the button appeared. Switched back to "All", and the button stayed.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time it happens, and I will do further testing to see if I can re-create it so you or others may try it if they wish.

I doubt it's hardware-related. I mean, if the "< Settings" button were there but not responding to my touch, I would have doubts about whether the screen is working properly… but that isn't the case.

It's disappointing that after 9 versions of iOS, Apple still manages to screw up something as simple as navigating within the Settings app!

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That's how it is with technology. None is perfect. Apple does as good or better job of it as the next.

14. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I've got two issues:
    1. I keep getting kicked off wifi. I've tried a hard reset. I've even changed the DNS server to a Google one. Any suggestions? This didn't happen before iOS 9.

2. My iCloud backup doesn't complete. It hangs at 23 minutes remaining. I've hard reset. Still the same. Any suggestions?

I'm not jailbroken, yet, so ignore my signature. Thanks!

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hey EverythingApple — @Sharunda was having the same problem as you.

She kindly shared what worked for her. Hopefully it will be useful to you.

16. EverythingApple

Gold

I'm doing it now. Thanks.

#16 EverythingApple, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  17. EverythingApple

Gold

@Rafagon
    See my post in other thread. It didn't work. I'll backup to iTunes tomorrow than try again on a different wifi network.

18. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@EverythingApple
    I'm sorry this didn't work of you. You said you were going to try again, I hope it work for you the second go around.

Here is the reply I had here but i put it where you originally posted about this.

#18 Sharunda, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  19. Caliphone

Caliphone Member
    Bronze

Here's a new one for me, just started showing about 45 MILLION e-mails in my inbox. Literally, 45 million plus. Nothing really there but my twenty or so, just a false crazy number. Went away after a restart.
    Feel like a beta tester this time around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I had that happen a few months back but with a much smaller number of emails. I ended up having to delete all of my email accounts from the phone and re-input the info again and that solved the problem. I had tried all the usual remedies like hard reset, restore from backup, etc and was ready to restore as new but decided to try removing and re-imputing all the email info first and it worked. Hope you find an easy solution.