iOS 9 Bugs

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Still not seeing how this is a bug...
Silence is set to be on, which would, yep, silence sounds.
Maybe I'm the one who's confused! I'll try once more. My Silence physical switch is not set to on.

My Do Not Disturb feature is the one that is on. Per the Do Not Disturb screen itself (see second screenshot, below), the feature is meant to silence "calls and alerts" (not ALL sounds). It will silence them either

(a) Only when the phone is locked, or
(b) Always (i.e., including when you're using the phone)

The purpose of the "SILENCE:" setting on the Do Not Disturb screen is to let you choose which of the above two behaviors you wish for the silencing of calls and alerts.

dnd1.jpg

So far, so good.

Herein lies the bug: the Sent Mail sound is NOT an alert, and it is NOT an incoming phone call. Therefore, it should not be silenced. "Alerts" call your attention to incoming events on your phone. That is to say, my mind is on something else, and an alert sound (or vibration) calls my attention to the incoming event at hand. But sending an e-mail is something I initiated--it is an "outgoing" event, so to speak.

Since I had been typing the e-mail and I just finished tapping on Send, then I'm already alert to the fact that I sent the e-mail. How much more alert can I be? I obviously already know that I have just sent an e-mail. I'm the one who sent it! I want the Swoosh sound as a confirmation that the thing has gone through. Do Not Disturb should not silence that sound because it is not an alert, and it is not going to disturb me.

Summing up, the Send Mail sound is a confirmation or feedback sound, just like the keyboard click sound, which confirms that the user has typed a letter. Do Not Disturb doesn't silence the keyboard click sound, so why would it silence the sent e-mail sound?

dnd2.jpg

Last edited:

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Sorry, this sounds akin to the picking of nits. For one, if I'm sending off a forgotten, quick email in the middle of the night and I'm not the only one in the (bed)room, I'd certainly want DND to silence system sounds as well ... but that's me.
YMMV

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Sorry, this sounds akin to the picking of nits. For one, if I'm sending off a forgotten, quick email in the middle of the night and I'm not the only one in the (bed)room, I'd certainly want DND to silence system sounds as well ... but that's me.
YMMV
I can certainly see the merits of having Do Not Disturb (DND) silence the "Swoosh" sound of an outgoing e-mail, and to a degree, I agree with your reasoning. :)

But, respectfully, a part of me does stand by my previous argument. I like the Swoosh sound because it confirms that the e-mail I've just sent out successfully left my phone and didn't get stuck in the Unsent (Outbox) folder, which can happen, for example, in cases of very poor Wi-Fi and/or cellular signal. I really wish I could have that Swoosh sound even when I've engaged DND.

Furthermore, you're implying that DND was intended not to disturb the person(s) in your immediate vicinity, and that's not the case. DND is only intended not to disturb the user of the phone while he or she is engaged in activities like work, sleep, or operating heavy machinery.

There are other features that the iPhone offers for not disturbing the person(s) in the immediate vicinity of the user, like the physical mute switch on the phone, or lowering the volume on the phone all the way down.

Again, like I said, you made a very good point. The fact that DND silences some sounds can come in handy if you're lying in bed next to someone who's asleep, but that's just an unintended bonus, in my humble opinion.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
The email sent sound is indeed an alert. It alerts one when their mail is sent. The only things I know that still sounds during DND are the alarm clock, Amber alerts, and maybe the governmental alerts for disasters.
All the alert sounds are grouped together. It's a shut them all off deal.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
On a somewhat related note, the bug whereby the Facebook and Tweet sounds never work is still in full force. I’ve posted about this issue previously, but it still bugs me, so I’m hoping there’s no harm, no foul in mentioning it again. This issue has been present since at least January of this year, and possibly earlier. I’ve tried Tweeting a photo, a URL, just about anything, and the "Tweet sent" sound always fails to deploy. I’ve also tried Tweeting from within the official Twitter app and still nothing. The same goes for Facebook (the Facebook app does make its own little sound when you post something, but that sound is NOT the one the user selects at Settings > Sound > Facebook Post).

If one goes to Settings > Sound > Tweet or Settings > Sound > Facebook Post, there’s even a button on the upper right-hand corner of the screen to take the user to the Store. Theoretically, an unwitting user could purchase a custom Tweet sound that will never be played!

Why are those settings there, if the sounds are never used? They worked in the somewhat distant past; I know this for a fact.

I do like to hear confirmation sounds for many of the major events that I execute. If I Tweet something, I want to hear the little bird tweeting. I don’t think that’s asking for too much.

But maybe I’m missing something. Please, do correct me if I’m wrong!

PS: Now that I look again at the screenshot below, I don’t recall ever hearing the Reminder Alert “Choo Choo” sound, and I have used Reminders on several occasions. When is the Choo Choo sound supposed to deploy? Is it when a Reminder is overdue?

neverdeploy.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
On a somewhat related note, the bug whereby the Facebook and Tweet sounds never work is still in full force. I’ve posted about this issue previously, but it still bugs me, so I’m hoping there’s no harm, no foul in mentioning it again. This issue has been present since at least January of this year, and possibly earlier. I’ve tried Tweeting a photo, a URL, just about anything, and the "Tweet sent" sound always fails to deploy. I’ve also tried Tweeting from within the official Twitter app and still nothing. The same goes for Facebook (the Facebook app does make its own little sound when you post something, but that sound is NOT the one the user selects at Settings > Sound > Facebook Post).

If one goes to Settings > Sound > Tweet or Settings > Sound > Facebook Post, there’s even a button on the upper right-hand corner of the screen to take the user to the Store. Theoretically, an unwitting user could purchase a custom Tweet sound that will never be played!

Why are those settings there, if the sounds are never used? They worked in the somewhat distant past; I know this for a fact.

I do like to hear confirmation sounds for many of the major events that I execute. If I Tweet something, I want to hear the little bird tweeting. I don’t think that’s asking for too much.

But maybe I’m missing something. Please, do correct me if I’m wrong!

PS: Now that I look again at the screenshot below, I don’t recall ever hearing the Reminder Alert “Choo Choo” sound, and I have used Reminders on several occasions. When is the Choo Choo sound supposed to deploy? Is it when a Reminder is overdue?

View attachment 44209
The Tweetbot post sound works every time. It's a really nice app. I recommend it over the stock Twitter app.

The Reminder alert should sound at the the time of the reminder as well as any repeat alerts you set after the initial one. I just tested it and it worked for me. Try setting it to a different tone and testing it.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The Tweetbot post sound works every time. It's a really nice app. I recommend it over the stock Twitter app.

The Reminder alert should sound at the the time of the reminder as well as any repeat alerts you set after the initial one. I just tested it and it worked for me. Try setting it to a different tone and testing it.
Thank you! I’m going to put that Tweetbot app on my Wish List, as it’s currently $9.99, a bit too much for someone who isn’t really a heavy Twitter user. When I searched for “Tweetbot” on the App Store, there were several results, like Tweetbot 4 and Tweetbot 3, but I did find one entry named “Tweetbot Free.” When I tapped on that, it took me to an app called “TweetCaster for Twitter,” an app that was already on my Purchased list. I’m going to assume that TweetCaster for Twitter is the free version of “Tweetbot”?

I’ll try it out for a bit, but if it bombards me with ads I’ll have to go back to the official Twitter app, even if I can’t get my Tweet confirmation sound. :cool:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thank you! I’m going to put that Tweetbot app on my Wish List, as it’s currently $9.99, a bit too much for someone who isn’t really a heavy Twitter user. When I searched for “Tweetbot” on the App Store, there were several results, like Tweetbot 4 and Tweetbot 3, but I did find one entry named “Tweetbot Free.” When I tapped on that, it took me to an app called “TweetCaster for Twitter,” an app that was already on my Purchased list. I’m going to assume that TweetCaster for Twitter is the free version of “Tweetbot”?

I’ll try it out for a bit, but if it bombards me with ads I’ll have to go back to the official Twitter app, even if I can’t get my Tweet confirmation sound. :cool:
No. You can tell that Tweetcaster is unrelated because it's from a different developer. They aren't affiliated with Tapbots, the developers of Tweetbot. It's pretty shifty how they piggybacked on the search results in attempt to dupe people. I would steer clear of anything they make based on that alone.

I was recommending Tweetbot 4. It was $5 when I purchased it.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
No. You can tell that Tweetcaster is unrelated because it's from a different developer. They aren't affiliated with Tapbots, the developers of Tweetbot. It's pretty shifty how they piggybacked on the search results in attempt to dupe people. I would steer clear of anything they make based on that alone.

I was recommending Tweetbot 4. It was $5 when I purchased it.
It's $9.99 now.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL

The sounds in question are like when you post to Twitter from YouTube. It makes a sound. Or from a news org. app to Twitter or Facebook. Has nothing to do with Tweetbot. I like Tweetbot too.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I know. Rafagon just stated that. I was just telling him that it cost less back when I bought it.
The sounds in question are like when you post to Twitter from YouTube. It makes a sound. Or from a news org. app to Twitter or Facebook. Has nothing to do with Tweetbot. I like Tweetbot too.
You must have misunderstood me. I know what he's referring to. I said, "The Tweetbot post sound works every time." I was offering an alternative app solution for him since the stock app isn't "making a sound" for him when he posts a tweet.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I know. Rafagon just stated that. I was just telling him that it cost less back when I bought it.

You must have misunderstood me. I know what he's referring to. I said, "The Tweetbot post sound works every time." I was offering an alternative app solution for him since the stock app isn't "making a sound" for him when he posts a tweet.
Yeah, I missed the part about tweeting from in the Twitter app.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Exactamundo. I mentioned that in my post already.

I don’t really Tweet, or follow other folks’ Tweets, nearly enough to warrant shelling out those ten bucks.
The sounds in my official Twitter app don't work either. It's turned on in the Twitter settings as well as in my phone's settings. I haven't heard Twitter sounds in a long time.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Breaking: Major bug uncovered!

Screen just went landscape on me despite rotation lock being on…

And it refused to go back into portrait mode until I toggled the rotation lock off.

image.png

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
EEK! :eek: This hasn't happened to me......yet:sick:

Although I did experience.........oh WAIT!!! I remember this happening to me and I did a hard reset and it straightened itself out. YUP! I remember that crap! My iPhone was doing a few funky moves that I did not appreciate so I did a hard reset and all was forgiven. I remember that dag on day!!! I was locked in a disagreement with a friend of mine and this was just another thing going wrong so I fixed it by hard resetting. Can't hard reset a friend though O_o

Yes, this slipped my mind...it did happen to me too.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I can’t believe that Apple still hasn’t fixed the missing app icon bug. When did I first report this over here? Like two years ago or so?

IMG_2365.PNG

And where the HECK is my Pokemon GO 1.5 update? Why hasn’t it been released in Miami yet?! მე არ მჯერა, ამ! 難以置信的!@#%&(@%(&@%%&!@!@$&!!!!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I’m not sure if this is considered a true bug, or it’s the intended behavior, but when I’m typing a common noun and it gets auto-corrected to a proper noun, then I backspace to delete the incorrect auto-correction, when I start typing what I intended to type, it still gets capitalized, even though it’s not a proper noun!

In other words, once that capitalized status kicks in during autocorrect, it kicks in again when you attempt to type the correct word.

Try it yourself: Type aneric, it will auto-correct to America, delete the word and immediately after you delete the “A” type automobile. It will be capitalized, even though it doesn’t need capitalization.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I’m not sure if this is considered a true bug, or it’s the intended behavior, but when I’m typing a common noun and it gets auto-corrected to a proper noun, then I backspace to delete the incorrect auto-correction, when I start typing what I intended to type, it still gets capitalized, even though it’s not a proper noun!

In other words, once that capitalized status kicks in during autocorrect, it kicks in again when you attempt to type the correct word.

Try it yourself: Type aneric, it will auto-correct to America, delete the word and immediately after you delete the “A” type automobile. It will be capitalized, even though it doesn’t need capitalization.
Maybe because the keyboard sees it as the first word of a sentence?