iOS 9 on a 4s

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by radtechy01, Oct 26, 2015.

1. radtechy01

radtechy01 Member
    Bronze

I picked up a 4s for my dad this will be his first smart phone it's a 16 gig Verizon and he won't be using a lot of the space for music etc. so my question is will the 4s be able to handle iOS 9? I know Apple says that it it will but from a serious standpoint will it? I know in the past with iOS 7 & 8 on older models people of had trouble. Thanks in advance

2. radtechy01

radtechy01 Member
    Bronze

Right now I think it's iOS 8 but before I upgrade it I don't wanna if it's gonna suck for him cause downgrading is a pain in the ass

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Using these tips will help.
    To help your older device run better, here's some tips:
    1. Leave at least 20% of the storage capacity available. This helps to not constrain the system.
    2. Toggle on "reduce transparency" and "reduce motion".
    3. Toggle off Background App Refresh".
    Good luck!

4. radtechy01

radtechy01 Member
    Bronze

Those are all easy. 16 gig model is plenty of memory for him. I'll disabled the background refresh a and that stupid floating screen that I hate. Other than that you think it will be smooth?

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Hard to say. Probably not as smooth as a new 6s. There will be some lag most likely. Whatever it does, he'll probably get used to it and enjoy it. My old iPhone 5 still works on iOS 9.1. It's not real smooth, but it works fine. It's my back up now.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If he can deal with having only about 10 GB at his disposal (that's what he'll be left with, give or take a couple hundred MB), then he should be fine, and like @Ledsteplin said, it will not be as smooth as a new 6s. It should be fine for a casual user doing web surfing, some YouTube videos, taking and sharing photos, e-mail, and playing non-graphics-intensive games.

#6 Rafagon, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  7. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

The iPhone 4s is the oldest model listed as compatible with iOS9: http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#compatibility
    Often, the oldest compatible model doesn't work perfectly with the latest software version. I would recommend sticking with iOS8 unless there is something in 9 that you just must have.