iOS 9 Wishlist

Sanjeev

Bronze
Mar 17, 2012
Go into your mail account setting, advanced and you'll see the delete option. This is for a Gmail account
This photo is on my phone and I'm on an older version of iOS (7.0.4)
View attachment 41221
I got another problem.. I followed you and set my advances settings for gmail and its working fine. But messages from Facebook still go to archive and don't get deleted like other emails in my same gmail account. Weird... Isn't it?

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'd like for voice dialing and song playback to be handled locally on the phone - none of this sending out to Apple's servers nonsense. I want to be able to play any song on my phone at any time, regardless of signal. I'd also like to be able to be in a situation where I can only use voice dialing to call 911 and not be greeted with something akin to:

Sanjeev

Bronze
Mar 17, 2012
Notes

There should be a provision to select text from the browser Safari and save it as text in an inbuilt app so that one can see that selected text any time on any device. I am aware that third party apps can do the same for example "Annotate" app. But it will be more interesting if apple introduces this in safari.

Sanjeev

Bronze
Mar 17, 2012
Can anyone let me know which is the best app to participate in this forum? Presently I am using the iCafe app but it doesn't allow to edit the post if you need to rectify some mistake made.
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1428898847.474038.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Can anyone let me know which is the best app to participate in this forum? Presently I am using the iCafe app but it doesn't allow to edit the post if you need to rectify some mistake made. View attachment 41253
Mobile Safari, in my opinion. The mobile template is very fast, easy to use and it doesn't have any limitations. The iCafe app has restrictions, bugs and ads.

Please use the iCafe App Support thread if you have any more questions regarding the app. This thread is for iOS 9 suggestions.

Edit: I just posted directions for editing posts in the app in the thread you started regarding the problem.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
If I'm in the Contacts app (or the Contacts tab of the Phone app) and I tap on a contact's e-mail address to send them an e-mail, then when said e-mail is sent off (or cancelled), I should be sent back to the Contacts app (or the Contacts tab of the Phone app, if appropriate). It doesn't make sense that it leaves you stranded in the Mail app. Apple should fix this in iOS 9.

Safari handles this correctly. If you're on a website on the Safari app and tap the Share button and send someone an e-mail to share the URL of the site you're viewing, once the e-mail is sent, it returns you to Safari, as it should.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
If I'm in the Contacts app (or the Contacts tab of the Phone app) and I tap on a contact's e-mail address to send them an e-mail, then when said e-mail is sent off (or cancelled), I should be sent back to the Contacts app (or the Contacts tab of the Phone app, if appropriate). It doesn't make sense that it leaves you stranded in the Mail app. Apple should fix this in iOS 9.

Safari handles this correctly. If you're on a website on the Safari app and tap the Share button and send someone an e-mail to share the URL of the site you're viewing, once the e-mail is sent, it returns you to Safari, as it should.
Regarding the phone app as well, sometimes when I make a phone call and call gets ended / finished, it takes me back to my springboard, but I want it to stay in the app so I can delete the call etc. Also, I wish the contacts page would go back to the top. There was a jailbreak tweak for this, but it has not been updated and probably wont be. It says works for iOS 3 and 4. :p

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Regarding the phone app as well, sometimes when I make a phone call and call gets ended / finished, it takes me back to my springboard, but I want it to stay in the app so I can delete the call etc. Also, I wish the contacts page would go back to the top. There was a jailbreak tweak for this, but it has not been updated and probably wont be. It says works for iOS 3 and 4. :p
Delete the call, hmm! Sounds like you're doing top-secret work!

About contacts going back to the top—you mean, after every phone call, return to the top of the list?

I don't know if I would necessarily agree with that—what if someone is going down their list of friends to invite each of them to an Emoji party? It would help them remember who they've called so far by staying right where it was left.

But if you prefer it your way, there's no reason you shouldn't have that, too. Apple should add a setting so each person can have it set to their preference. But of course, Apple would never go for this. Customization isn't their strong point. That's why all these people keep tinkering with jailbreaks and similar knick-knacks originating in the underbelly of the Far East.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Delete the call, hmm! Sounds like you're doing top-secret work!

About contacts going back to the top—you mean, after every phone call, return to the top of the list?

I don't know if I would necessarily agree with that—what if someone is going down their list of friends to invite each of them to an Emoji party? It would help them remember who they've called so far by staying right where it was left.

But if you prefer it your way, there's no reason you shouldn't have that, too. Apple should add a setting so each person can have it set to their preference. But of course, Apple would never go for this. Customization isn't their strong point. That's why all these people keep tinkering with jailbreaks and similar knick-knacks originating in the underbelly of the Far East.
I'm a perfectionist, so I like for the contact list to be back to the call after each call made. Of course I can use other ways to make a phone call instead of the contact list such as Siri, but her and I have broken up now.

It's a shame that so much stuff that can be easily implemented by Apple are not. I can understand customization as Apple says it can cause battery drainage, but other simple things won't.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL

I'm not sure I understand this. But I've noticed in iOS 8, when I tap on an email in contacts to email someone, it doesn't work once in the mail app. I have to enter the address in manually. It should already be in the "To:". But it doesn't work. Is that what you mean?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I would like to see the messages delete options (30 days, 1 year, and Forever) be optional for individual threads. So if I want to keep my Wife's messages forever and my cousin's for 30 days, I can do that.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I'm not sure I understand this. But I've noticed in iOS 8, when I tap on an email in contacts to email someone, it doesn't work once in the mail app. I have to enter the address in manually. It should already be in the "To:". But it doesn't work. Is that what you mean?

It works for me… It pre-fills the "To:" field with the e-mail address I have tapped.

What I want is to be returned to the Contacts app after finishing the e-mail and tapping "Send" on the upper right-hand corner (or aborting the operation by tapping "Cancel" on the upper left-hand corner). I think it's the logical way for this button to work, but that's just me.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Updated the first post in this thread with a link to my ultimate iOS 9 wish list. It's long and there are some crazy requests. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I remember that some of the Caller ID boxes for landlines had a "Block the blocker" feature—it would let you block callers who call your number with their caller ID information blocked. The phone wouldn't even ring. The box would "pick up" the phone and the offending caller would hear a message stating "This number does not accept blocked calls," after which they would get hung up on. I want this on iOS 9. I don't want an app that can do this; I want the feature to be built into the OS.

I would believe that if one of those mid-90s caller ID boxes could achieve it, then a smartphone in 2015 with oodles of high-tech chips inside certainly could, as well.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I remember that some of the Caller ID boxes for landlines had a "Block the blocker" feature—it would let you block callers who call your number with their caller ID information blocked. The phone wouldn't even ring. The box would "pick up" the phone and the offending caller would hear a message stating "This number does not accept blocked calls," after which they would get hung up on. I want this on iOS 9. I don't want an app that can do this; I want the feature to be built into the OS.

I would believe that if one of those mid-90s caller ID boxes could achieve it, then a smartphone in 2015 with oodles of high-tech chips inside certainly could, as well.
Verizon has a feature in MyVerizon where you can block restricted numbers. It does not, however, leave the caller a message. I remember using *77 for that years ago. It told the caller they had to identify themselves before the call would go through. I don't know if that still works. It may on landlines.
The problem with blocking all restricted calls is it might be important. I had my mother's phone blocking those, and her Doctor could not get through on his private phone, which was restricted.