iOS 9 Wishlist

Sanjeev

Bronze
Mar 17, 2012
I feel a need for more flexibility for the incoming calls. We should be able to make a list of the people whom we want to avoid for certain period of time in the day. So we can create a list and don't get any call from them. If they call, the call gets disconnected automatically. I know DON'T DISTURB OPTION is there but I don't want my phone to ring at all bcz of these people. Another option is create a list of people (say 10 people) and you set these people can call you only and rest of other callers get DISCONNECTED. This feature is available in Sony Ericsson phone under manage calls option for so long. I hope Apple will consider to bring this feature in next iOS.

Sanjeev

Bronze
Mar 17, 2012
I feel a need for more flexibility for the incoming calls. We should be able to make a list of the people whom we want to avoid for certain period of time in the day. So we can create a list and don't get any call from them. If they call, the call gets disconnected automatically. I know DON'T DISTURB OPTION is there but I don't want my phone to ring at all bcz of these people. Another option is create a list of people (say 10 people) and you set these people can call you only and rest of other callers get DISCONNECTED. This feature is available in Sony Ericsson phone under manage calls option for so long. I hope Apple will consider to bring this feature in next iOS.
I am also aware about blocking a caller in the contacts but I need to create a group of people whom I can avoid and vice versa with just a click of a button.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can already do this. You can set up Do Not Disturb to allow calls from favorites. Calls from all other numbers will not come through.

Sanjeev

Bronze
Mar 17, 2012
You can already do this. You can set up Do Not Disturb to allow calls from favorites. Calls from all other numbers will not come through.
In the DON'T DISRURB option calls gets silenced and the caller can hear the ring going on. So they may think I'm not replying intentionally. Whereas in the option I'm talking about calls gets disconnected right away with the first ring, moreover, you have more flexibility of creating group of people who are welcome or not welcome as the need be.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
In the DON'T DISRURB option calls gets silenced and the caller can hear the ring going on. So they may think I'm not replying intentionally. Whereas in the option I'm talking about calls gets disconnected right away with the first ring, moreover, you have more flexibility of creating group of people who are welcome or not welcome as the need be.
Or they might just think you're at work or busy with the phone muted, just like they would if it went straight to voicemail because the phone was off.

If you need more flexibility with blocking calls, you might want to consider jailbreaking and installing iBlacklist. I doubt Apple will ever add all of the flexibility and features that it has.

Sanjeev

Bronze
Mar 17, 2012
Or they might just think you're at work or busy with the phone muted, just like they would if it went straight to voicemail because the phone was off.

If you need more flexibility with blocking calls, you might want to consider jailbreaking and installing iBlacklist. I doubt Apple will ever add all of the flexibility and features that it has.
Jail breaking is the last thing I would do. Why I am so inclined towards that option because I had Sony Ericsson before and that option saved me and helped me in very difficult situations when I had to seriously avoid some people and at the same time talk to others. It's my personal experience. Anyhow thanks for your humble opinion.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
The other option would be to educate your callers, as Europa hinted at, that an unanswered call does not mean you are ignoring them. Too many people are so used to instant communication that they have forgotten there are a myriad of reasons that a phone call would go unanswered and ignoring the caller isn't one of them. I have had several people question if I was ignoring their calls when I called them back. I told them emphatically that "Yes, I was ignoring your call" because it came while I was "Busy and can't take your call at the moment" as my voicemail message says. It also concludes with "Leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible". If they cannot deal with that I do not need them in my life. Life shouldn't be so complicated, simplify!!

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
This whole thing didn't make sense to me either. Your carrier can maybe Block numbers. Verizon allows for 5 free. But the caller does get a message that you're not available.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This whole thing didn't make sense to me either. Your carrier can maybe Block numbers. Verizon allows for 5 free. But the caller does get a message that you're not available.
That's more for long-term blocking and I'm pretty sure it isn't free, at least not with AT&T. He just wants to block multiple contacts temporarily at certain times of the day. DND and stock call blocking works great for this and it's free.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I would appreciate a quicker method for initiating DND. In my case, I was heading down the highway at 60 with my gps running and suddenly 5 or 6 family members start sending and replying to a group text. I have to pull over to initiate the DND or tap the screen as many times to dismiss each pop up and have a clear screen again ... sigh.
YMMV

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I would appreciate a quicker method for initiating DND. In my case, I was heading down the highway at 60 with my gps running and suddenly 5 or 6 family members start sending and replying to a group text. I have to pull over to initiate the DND or tap the screen as many times to dismiss each pop up and have a clear screen again ... sigh.
YMMV
It does not get too much easier than to activate Siri and say "Turn on Do Not Disturb". I just tried it and it works for both on and off.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I was thinking the other day that, with technology as advanced as it is, then if the cell phone service providers cooperated, there should be a way to listen to a voicemail that someone is leaving as it is being left (i.e. screen your calls).

Then, taking that a step further, it should be able to "pick up the call" while the voicemail is being left. The call from the caller would simply have to be re-routed to one's cell phone number, be automatically connected, and save the portion of the voicemail that was already recorded.

Granted, the investment required by the providers is likely one they're not willing to make, but this would be a sweet feature to have in iOS 9 (or a future version).

Maybe Taylor Swift needs to publish a post saying that she wants the feature.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I was thinking the other day that, with technology as advanced as it is, then if the cell phone service providers cooperated, there should be a way to listen to a voicemail that someone is leaving as it is being left (i.e. screen your calls).

Then, taking that a step further, it should be able to "pick up the call" while the voicemail is being left. The call from the caller would simply have to be re-routed to one's cell phone number, be automatically connected, and save the portion of the voicemail that was already recorded.

Granted, the investment required by the providers is likely one they're not willing to make, but this would be a sweet feature to have in iOS 9 (or a future version).

Maybe Taylor Swift needs to publish a post saying that she wants the feature.
Interesting idea. I agree that would be a cool feature. It reminds me of the old days of having an analog answering machine on the landline. Back then there wasn't caller ID though, so you had to wait until the caller started talking to effectively screen the call. It would still be handy if an unidentified caller actually left a message. In my experience 99% of callers that aren't ID'd are spammers that never leave messages.

Hold on, I'll get back to this post in a minute, Taylor is calling on the other line. :D