iOS Google Maps App in Alpha Testing

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Europa, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

2. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Thank God.

Although Apple maps did work properly the few times I used it.

But since all the bad press I've been sticking with Waze.

I gotta say though the Apple maps interface is beautiful and I love all the landmarks so I can see what roads I'm passing before I need to turn

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe

3. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I just hope it has Street View. I miss that a lot.

4. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Can't wait!

I didn't know Apple had points of interest! There aren't any listed in Ontario! I'm beginning to think this is like Siri. Non functional outside of the US. Honestly, these maps are that bad here.

Street view is a must have! Gladly give up turn by turn for street view! 100 times over.

Accuracy and a functional search are first, street view 2nd (close though) and turn by turn third.

No time frame though...

Hurry hurry...

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think I remember you saying you have Navigon. I just open it when I need Street View and use Apple maps for everything else. All-in-one would be nice, but this works for me for now.

6. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I can't wait for this as well, but Apple Maps has been working well for me (except for Siri not recognizing my voice commands). My bet is that Apple puts out an iOS update (with improved Maps) way before Google Maps comes out...

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think they'll release an iOS update before the Google maps app is done, but I don't think the problems will all be resolved with that update. I think it's going to slowly improve over the years, just as Google maps did. But, yeah, I'm sure 6.0.1 will have some maps improvements.

8. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Can't wait, so I don't have to hear people complain anymore :D not your fault I know.

9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I suppose I'll add this to the stable of "second opinion" map apps along with Mapquest and Waze. But honestly, without nav I'll probably never use it. Apple Maps and navigation have been stellar for me, and I've used it plenty.

10. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Agreed, they can't completely fix them in one update. Maps app will get better over time for sure...

11. iamphaw

iamphaw New Member

When you guys are accessing Apple maps through Siri and it doesn't work properly it is cause by 1 reason. Your accent. SiRi can only understood US English and Accent although Apple claims Siri is now working properly. Its working for me thou but when I shift my accent to its totally bugged regardless if I change the langauge on Siri.

Sent from my iPhone 5

12. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Maybe my Chicaga accent is da reason Siri ain't werkin' propaly... Daaaaa Bears!

Seriously though, I'd hoped Siri would learn my voice faster than this. It's been almost a month and I still get lots of errors... Boo.

13. iamphaw

iamphaw New Member

You made me laugh there buddy, even native Americans cannot be understood by Siri. The thing thou is you have to use neutral accent. I hope Apple fix this issues with Siri. Having Siri is damn good but making Siri work is a BIG pain in the ass. Microsoft has this feature to study your accent and voice. I hope Apple uses that to iOS devices too. If I'm not mistaken that's the voice recognition feature.

Sent from my iPhone 5

14. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Years... Holy cow! I would think with Apples money and history, that they would pay for the right fix right away.

A wheel is round... Why try to reinvent it?

I know they have so many thing to fix with this update though.

Camera
    iMessage
    Calendar
    Wifi
    Lines on the screen

All large tasks. Basically the foundation of IOS.

I hope maps is much! improved with the next update though.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I see no more bugs in iOS 6 than in any other version of iOS. This happens with every new generation of iOS firmware. Bugs exist - bugs get fixed.

Are a lot of you folks on your first iPhone? :D

16. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

After using a JB iPhone 4 for the past two years I find iOS6 on my IP5 quite refreshing. I am sure there are bugs in iOS6 but my user experience has been quite trouble free. Truth be told, I'd actually be reluctant to JB (if there ever is one) as I would not want to diminish the blazing speed and stability.

17. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

My mileage is definitely different. Maybe I just expected more from Apple.

With the last few IOS updates to 4 and to 5, I don't recall the sheer number of bugs to the fundamental basis of IOS. I'm talking iMessage, calendar, wifi, screen issues and if course maps. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the other updates did not degrade each of these things as IOS 6 has for me.

I too had a jail broken IOS 4. Yes, it was buggy at times and slow to respond with certain things, but, wifi and calendar worked flawlessly for me. Yes, IOS 6 is snappier, but when appointments get dropped, get placed at different times due to a roving time zone or when my wifi just drops off and I lose the web page, these things are not good. I also have a problem in iMessage where I send one, my phone reads 'delivered' then 'read' but the message never gets there. It's sporadic, but crucial that it works.

Talk about a bad day! Hockey tournament over the weekend. Send my wife a text to meet at the arena to change kids - drop one off and pick up another for ringette. No show. Didn't get the text and her calendar event went missing. Then got laughed at by all the blackberry users on the team because my vaunted iPhone couldn't find the arena in a different town and I had to ask for directions.

I know... Ranting again... !frustration!