iOS Mail vs. Outlook Mail

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ivantwilliams, Apr 25, 2015.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I'm curious. Since the iOS has a built in Mail app, does one use a separate Mail app? Possibly one like Outlook Mail?

The internal iOS Mail app seems to do everything, so why do we need the likes of Outlook Mail?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I setup my mail accounts a while back using the Gmail app as I couldn't get everything straight as far as forwarding etc etc with the stock mail app. All is good.

3. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I use the built-in Mail app for Exchange server, gmail, hotmail and yahoo. (I know, too many.) It works well. Not many features as with the Outlook App however.

4. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I switched to Outlook. Many types of accounts, some exchange, some IMAP and some Google and Yahoo. I like it much better but remember, it does push notification by actually downloading all of your email to Microsoft servers (encrypted) and then tells Apple to push notifications via the app. This creates an issue for some enterprise users whose IT departments demand total control of end-to-end data. I'm not concerned, heck the NSA probably reads all mine anyway.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

My Outlook account is in the stock mail app along with my 4 Gmail accounts and 2 others. Except for iCloud, they all have their own 3rd party app for mail.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

6. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Since you have an Outlook account, have you tried the new Outlook app on your iPhone? It works great for your outlook and your Gmail, and also handles iCloud

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

No, but I've been meaning to try it. I've tried them all except that. I always go back to the stock app because I can't put Comcast on anything but their own app. And iCloud. I like them all in one place.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

8. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

You need to try it and get them all together. Comcast now even supports IMAP!

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

What's the name of the outlook mail app? Is it Microsoft Outlook?

10. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Seriously, you had trouble finding it?
    Capture.JPG

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

No, I thought I had the right one. But there were several with Outlook in the name. Just. Checkin'.

12. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I use both Mail and Outlook. The way I keep the mail is separated is my school accounts go in Outlook and personal accounts in Mail. It seems to be working out for me. Now if only I could figure out a better system to stay organized.

13. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I actually use them both too, but I turned off all notifications for Apple Mail app, I do it this way so I can say "Hey Siri, read my new mail" when I get a notification from the Outlook app while exercising or in the car, etc. Siri can't read mail from any other apps.

14. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

Personally, it's always better I f I can keep my Apple products Microsoft free!

15. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I realize your comment may have been tongue in cheek but I don't get the blanket refusal to use Microsoft products by Apple fans, or the refusal to use Apple products by Microsofties. Believe it or not, both companies make some great products. Rigidly locking into either ecosystem does little but to deprive you of the best of both worlds. While Outlook on the iPhone may not be the best choice for any specific individual, it's not like it contaminates the hardware. ;)

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Spark by Readdle looks impressive.

☮

17. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Spark is really nice, a lot like Outlook actually. I also like Readdle's Calendar 5 app.

18. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I do actually like the Outlook app. I set up my work email in Outlook, and keep personal email in Mail, just like I do on my Mac. This allows me to set independent notification settings, and keep them more logically separate.

There are only two downsides to outlook I've found, but I think they aren't faults of the app, just limitations of third party iOS apps. 1) Notifications are headed by "outlook" whereas mail notifications are headed by the sender's name. and 2) when swiping an outlook notification, it takes a second or so for outlook to refresh and display that email. Neither are a big deal, just something I had to get used to.

Outlook has also been getting updated very frequently. I've been impressed with the improvements and bug fixes already in such a new app. I wish Microsoft treated all their products this way.

19. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Yup the delay is because Outlook actually has to request the email. Remember that the Outlook app on your iPhone doesn't yet know you have a new email. The notification is received from the Outlook server in the cloud that can actually take advantage of Push email and short-interval fetch. It sees new mail almost immediately and sends the notifications. You open the app and it then actually gets the messages. I see this as a big advantage since many mail servers, including Gmail, can't do push (except with the Gmail app).