IOS manual re-install - how to avoid manual app install & settings

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by bmarkoff, Feb 3, 2015.

1. bmarkoff

bmarkoff New Member

I have a new iPhone 6 from T-mobile (switched form AT&T iPhone 5s) when I set up the phone, I did it as a restore from an ‘enrypted’ iTunes back-up, specifically so I could have all my apps in the right positions, inside the correct folders.

After 6+ weeks using the phone, I am finding it very buggy. Apple store ran diagnostics and said the operating system needs to be re-installed, (due to some corrupt files or something), NOT from back-up. Even though I tried that scenario a couple of times already, and no improvement.

I want to avoid this like the plague, because it is so time consuming and tedious to move all the apps around, into the folders, enter all the settings for each app, logon, etc.

Is there any way you know of to avoid all of manual installing and staring over like this.

I have this app for my mac called “iMazing” which does all that iTunes does and supposedly a whole lot more. Maybe this app could help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#1 bmarkoff, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's funny you should mention this, because I'm right in the middle of restoring my 6 Plus as a new phone, just to clear out any possible buggy remnants.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

What you are describing is a restore from backup, using iTunes. That's pretty common. If the Apple Store is recommending a clean install, that might be worthwhile. Yes, it's a bit of hassle. If the result is an iPhone that is stable, which it should be, it's worth it. I wouldn't trust any third party program.

I've outlined directions on how to setup a new iPhone 6. You want restore as new and I explain why here. Basically, it'll get rid of any gremlins.

Maybe take a few screenshots of how you've got things organized? As for passwords, you could invest in a third party app like 1Password.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

4. bmarkoff

bmarkoff New Member

i already have 1password and also dash lane. what i wanted to avoid is the numerous hours of installing each app, moving to the right location, putting into the correct folder, in order. re-doing all settings, on the phone and each app. is there a better way?

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I can't think of any other options. Have you updated to the latest version of iOS 8? I'm not sure what diagnostics they run at the Apple Store, but if they are saying a re-install is needed, I'd defer to them.

Wish I had a better alternative to offer you.

6. bmarkoff

bmarkoff New Member

is there a way to selectively back-up/archive then restore: messages, phone log, camera roll photos ( i do not use iPhoto), stuff like that. i am trying to see if the mac app "PhoneView" can do this??