iOS notifications over multiple devices

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by verbalj, Feb 10, 2013.

1. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

I remember hearing that with iOS 6 if you received a notification on one device, if you have that same app on another device, and you cleared that notification there, the notification will clear from the other device.

For example, if I received a notification on my iPhone saying it's my turn in Words with Friends, and I decide to play it on my iPad (it's installed on both), the notification will clear from my iPhone.

I'm bringing this up because that's not the case on my iPhone/iPad on 6.1. Was it just a rumor or am I missing a setting somewhere?

All typos courtesy of iPhone

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I have the same pair of iDevices and, like you, I have not found that clearing a notification on one clears it on the other one either. I haven't heard of that being a feature.

3. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

The link provided by RoofMonkey is one of the sources I came across. There was a video on YouTube demonstrating this, but I can't find it anymore.

Here's another link (albeit iPhonehacks being not too reliable) attesting to this new feature: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/09/ios-6-notifications.html

I've checked the iCloud settings and notifications area, but I'm not seeing anything that will sync the dismissal of notifications across multiple devices. As the person in the Cult of Mac link said, it is rather annoying clear the same notifications and/or badges on each device.

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

The article in the Cult of Mac link says that only "Stock iPhone apps" benefit from the cancellation across multiple devices feature. If by Stock apps they mean apps which come pre-installed on a new iPhone then for me that means only 2 or three apps I use that would benefit from this feature. I have 50 some apps on my phone which provide notifications of one kind or another and of those there are only 15 that are included in the notification center. So for me the feature is mostly useless, as I end up cancelling notifications on each device for 5 or 6 apps several times each day.

5. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Yeah, if it is stock apps, then it's all but useless -- to me at least. It seems silly that it would only be stock apps, then again, it's silly that Apple doesn't natively implement some of the impossible-to-live without jailbreak tweaks. Oh well.

If someone does know any thing else about this, and/or this feature is actually live, let us know!