iOS to include greater amount of bloatware as early as March 2015

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Looks like Apple will start including more bloatware on our iPhones as early as March of 2015, if Financial Times is to be believed.

Let's just hope this app won't be a perma-app, like Newsstand.

(It was quite a hassle to get into the article I linked to, above. It requires you to register with the website in order to gain access in order to read it. I tried to log in the fast way via Twitter, but it wouldn't let me do that until I had registered with the site. Finally, when I tried to register using my e-mail address, it said I had already registered with that e-mail address, so I had to request a new password. Therefore, I have included the text of the article for your convenience, below.)

November 19, 2014 5:39 pm
    Apple plans to push Beats to every iPhone

Apple will bundle the subscription music service it acquired from Beats into its iOS operating system early next year, instantly making it available on hundreds of millions of iPhones and iPads – and ramping up pressure on Spotify, the market leader in music streaming.
    The inclusion of the paid for Beats service in an iOS software update could happen as early as March, according to people familiar with the situation. The move represents Apple’s first attempt to capitalise on Beats since it bought the headphone maker and streaming service from Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine for $3bn this year.

It will also be Apple’s first big push into subscription music at a time when iTunes downloads are in decline and some high-profile artists such as Taylor Swift remain sceptical about the economics of streaming.

Apple declined to comment.

Pre-installing apps on devices is seen as a fast track to reaching new customers. Apple could also take advantage of its new mobile payments service to enable customers to subscribe with just one touch of the iPhone’s fingerprint reader.

Apple’s installed base of active music buyers dwarfs other services, according to Midia Research, a music analysis firm, which estimates it has 200m active iTunes customers. Apple’s push to capitalise on the Beats service will start from a low base, however, as Midia estimates Beats Music has only 110,000 subscribers.

Apple paid $3bn for Beats’ headphones and music app business in May to try to re-establish its leadership in digital music, which has waned as iPod sales and iTunes downloads have flagged.

Spotify has pioneered music streaming but has come under fire from Ms Swift, who pulled her catalogue from its ad-supported music service in a dispute over the value of her work.

“I think that people should feel that there is a value to what musicians have created, and that’s that,” she told Time magazine. Daniel Ek, Spotify’s founder, retorted that Spotify had paid $2bn to artists and music companies, half of that in the past year.

Apple’s revamped Beats service will operate on a paid subscription model. The service, which is likely to be rebranded under the iTunes label, will form part of a three-pronged music strategy for Apple, alongside downloads and iTunes Radio, which it launched in 2013. The trio will challenge not only Spotify, whose paid streaming service has more than 10m subscribers, but also Pandora and Soundcloud.

Apple is preparing to put its new Watch on sale in early 2015, to which the new music push could be linked.

Earlier this year, Apple used its ability to push content to its vast customer base to bundle its iBooks app with iOS 8, rather than requiring users to download it from the App Store. It also caused a stir among musicians and customers when it installed U2’s new album on hundreds of millions of devices, whether they wanted it or not.

Spotify has also struck deals to bundle its app with handset makers such as HTC and telecoms operators including Vodafone and Sprint. But none can match the scale of Apple’s customer base. The California-based company said in June it had sold more than 800m iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches to date.

Nonetheless, bundling does not guarantee success. iTunes Radio, which came pre-installed with iOS 7, has not been widely seen as successful in challenging Pandora’s dominance of internet radio in the US.

YouTube will also present a competitive threat, as Google also looks to shake up the digital music market with a paid subscription tier and series of enhancements to the world’s biggest video site.

#1 Rafagon, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I was in the middle of changing the name for this thread when I acctidentally hit the Return key. Maude, please change the title of this thread to "iOS to include greater amount of bloatware as early as March 2015".

Thank you in advance :)

maude_l.jpg

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Gawd, I hope they don't do this! If they do, I hope the app itself doesn't take much space hidden in my "not used" folder. I may have to nest it deep in that folder. Then download Spotify back. I forgot why I deleted it.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

4. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

5,000 plus songs in my iTunes library and I haven't listened to a single one of them on an Apple device since receiving my PONO Music Player.