iOS update 7.1 to 8.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by up10ad, Nov 19, 2014.

1. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Today I took my old iPhone 5 to the Genius Bar to have them replace my sleep/wake button under the free program for failed iPhone 5 devices. They inspected it and noted that the screen was slightly raised and informed me that I had a battery bulge. This condition is a covered defect regardless of warranty date, and resulted in an immediate replacement of my device with a new (refurb) unit. :)

I intend to keep this as a backup phone but just noticed that it has iOS 7.12 installed. Hence my dilemma. I'd love to install 8.1 (if they are still signing it) but I see no way to do so. I'd like to avoid 8.1.1 for now. I can't restore from my iPhone 5 backup because it has 8.1 and won't restore over v7. Any ideas anyone? @Europa ?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They are still signing 8.1. Download the firmware file for your version of the iPhone 5 and press the shift key and then the restore button in iTunes (option + restore Mac). You can apply your backup after you restore.
    http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Thanks I forgot about the shift-restore and you helped immensely with the download link.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You can also check the signing status at ipsw.me. It's updated every minute so it's current.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I plan to keep my 5 for back up as well. I'll probably need a new battery by summer. I'm gonna try to hold off upgrading until the 6s is available. I may not have the willpower to resist upgrading in January. The 5 will make a nice back up.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

6. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Signing closed for 8.1 now.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Which is not a problem since 8.1.1 has a jailbreak and is a more stable firmware than 8.1.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I have a OnePlus One coming this week, so I'll probably end up selling my backup 5s. My Plus will be my daily driver and my OPO will be my tweaking toy.

9. Katharinagruen

Katharinagruen New Member

Hey... I´m also thinking abt selling my iPhone 5 and buying the One Plus One. My boyfriend has this smartphone and I´m getting crazy abt it. The camera makes amazing pictures and the quality of the product is awesome. I can only recommend it!!!!!!

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I have a OnePlus One. To me, it's an average Android unit with a mediocre camera (at least on CM). The stock camera is not that good.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I was offered an invite for the OnePlus One, but I wouldn't want it for my only phone. I want the real Plus!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I bought it to mess around with. It has pretty good hardware, but the camera is sketchy and the apps I like to use have the same problems they had on my HTC One over a year ago. Can't beat the price, though, and thanks to their goofy invite system, I could probably sell it for more than I paid.