iOS Updating

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I think this may be a little tricky question here, but let's give it a whirl. My mom has an iPhone 4, but hasn't used iTunes much and she doesn't have a laptop anymore, or just never uses it anymore. She desperately needs to update, well it's not that big of a deal, but yeah.

How can I update her iPhone and get all of her apps and stuff back if she doesn't have an iTunes with all of her stuff on it? Can I somehow back her phone up on my iTunes?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

~DS~

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
Update over the air from via the setting. The apps won't be deleted. After update to 5.0.2, backup with iCloud if iTunes isn't an option. :)

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Update over the air from via the setting. The apps won't be deleted. After update to 5.0.2, backup with iCloud if iTunes isn't an option. :)
To be honest, I'm not sure what iOS software she is on or even what iPhone she has. She says it's an iPhone 4. Should it say in the settings? I didn't see anything saying that.

Also there isn't an over the air updating on her iPhone. Probably because it's so outdated, it hasn't been updated. She is not good at updating stuff. She doesn't feel the need to, or doesn't know how.

~DS~

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
Duh me, if your mom is on iOS 4 then she won't see it in her setting.

Yeah, you will need iTunes, upgrade to iOS 5. Make sure to backup first.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Duh me, if your mom is on iOS 4 then she won't see it in her setting.

Yeah, you will need iTunes, upgrade to iOS 5. Make sure to backup first.
But my question is, can I update her iPhone using my iTunes? I don't want to mess my iPhone stuff up, but I want to somehow backup her iPhone using my iTunes and then upgrade to iOS 5.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Now I am confused. I am done with my mom's iPhone. How do I get back to my iTunes and everything / Library? I press choose library, all I see is my mom's Library that I just made.

~DS~

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
Now I am confused. I am done with my mom's iPhone. How do I get back to my iTunes and everything / Library? I press choose library, all I see is my mom's Library that I just made.
Close iTunes and reopen again and select yours using the same method above, Alt+iTunes. :)

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

~DS~

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
I never had a Library saved like on my desktop. It was all in iTunes itself. I can plug my iPhone in, but it will still see her phone apps and songs.
it shouldn't if you aren't using her library. You need to select your library which is the default one. I have 3 libraries for each devices I have so it doesn't mess up with on library. The default library isn't on the desktop...

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
it shouldn't if you aren't using her library. You need to select your library which is the default one. I have 3 libraries for each devices I have so it doesn't mess up with on library. The default library isn't on the desktop...

I am confused now. Should I just create a library for my iPhone like I did with my moms iPhone?

I think I see what happened. Basically iTunes now only has all of her iPhone stuff on my iTunes even when it's unplugged and mines plugged in. Do I just need to make a Library for my iPhone to get everything back to normal?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Actually it isn't that confusing, my libraries are located in my Music folder--that's where your default library should be.

I feel like a total noob now since I don't have actual libraries. It was all in iTunes itself, and music and such in folders. I decided to do as I did with my mom's iPhone, create a new Library. Now do I just back it up and all will be good?

~DS~

Bronze
Dec 18, 2011
I feel like a total noob now since I don't have actual libraries. It was all in iTunes itself, and music and such in folders. I decided to do as I did with my mom's iPhone, create a new Library. Now do I just back it up and all will be good?
But..but...:p It's SHOULD already be there, the default library is called "iTunes" that's is YOUR default library done by iTunes itself. I just renamed mine to prevent confusion with other libraries. :)

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
But..but...:p It's SHOULD already be there, the default library is called "iTunes" that's is YOUR default library done by iTunes itself. I just renamed mine to prevent confusion with other libraries. :)
Wow. I feel like a dumb dumb now. I was trying to find it and didn't realize what you just said, that "iTunes" IS the Library. Thanks so very much. I just had to press "Open" and my Library appeared.