iOS6 Youtube app

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by RevSmythe, Sep 21, 2012.

1. RevSmythe

RevSmythe New Member

Oh Apple why must you be soulless?

So we have the ipad1 in our house, it's been a fantastic tool for helping with my youngest daughter Jessica's, autism. It's helped teach her to spell, read&write, use her brain for problem solving, it's kept her calm through meltdowns where nothing will soothe her but her ability to use youtube and so many other things I could write paragraphs after paragraphs on this.

Enter ios6
    I heard about the latest software update a few months ago, becoming excited about the accessibility options, being able to lock the ipad on a specific app if I wanted her to focus, or disable portions of the screen and thereforee buttons in apps, i.e the volume control in youtube or home buttons in apps that have multiple uses, meaning she would have to keep her attention on what I'm helping her learn.

The first issue was that it was announced that ios6 wasn't available on the first generation ipad, only on the 2nd and 3rd, iPhone 4 and 4s and iPhone 3gs (now obsolete btw).

This meant I had to come up with over £500 to get her one of the newer ipads just to use a simple feature that actually -limits- what she is able to do with her ipad!

Skip forward to yesterday, we've manage to get her the latest Ipad and eagerly download iOS6 in anticipation of using the fantastic potential the ipad has to teach her new things.

The second issue arises, devastatingly, the new iOS as well as removing googlemaps (no big worry for her but damn it was annoying on my own iPhone) has removed the simple youtube app, that she was fluent at using, replacing it with nothing. I believe this was over the fact google created Android OS which Apple view as a slap in the face.

I've downloaded every youtube app I could find, even the ones that you're expect to buy, none of them are suitable for her, everyone has complicated history/favorites tabs or no "related videos" section on the side of the video. Jessica was unable to use any of them and being that they require a massive amount of button presses to get onto other related videos (Jessica obviously can't use the search function!) I've had to give up and give her the ipad1 back.

Oh Apple, why must you be soulless.

2. RevSmythe

RevSmythe New Member

Btw, if anyone reading this is an app programmar, if you can rebuild the original Apple app and get it through their app submission onto App Store i'd gladly pay whatever the going rate!

3. Bolygon57

Bolygon57 Member
    Bronze

So sorry for your daughters frustrations :)...

If you open the regular you tube on the Internet it should ask you if you want to make a shortcut to it and place it on your Home screen, or you can do that yourself.

This brings you to the you tube home page...which functions similarly to the app. Maybe this could help?

4. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Have you tried the official YouTube app? It's an iPhone app for now, but you can use it in 2X mode on the iPad.

5. Mad_Man-16

Mad_Man-16 Member
    Bronze

The Office Youtube APP is good, and it's free from App store

6. puckypenny

puckypenny New Member

Hiya Rev, I have the exact same problem with the youtube app myself in a very similar situation with my own daughter. For over a year she never had my iPhone 4 out of her hand always on youtube great for learning and preventing the meltdowns you mentioned above. So we deceide to save up and get her an iPad which arrived on Monday and she was delighted with it and I also got my phone back! On Wednesday I thought I was doing the right thing by upgrading to IOS 6 on it and my phone and now with the youtube app gone she basically doesn't use the ipad at all I tried to download the app from the app store but as you said it is far to complex compared to the simple version she was so familiar with. I think it is terrible that Apple removed the app and has really made me consider other brands in the future. I hope there is a version of the orginal app available somewhere soon, if only we could go back to the old IOS

#6 puckypenny, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
  7. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

To the OP: as someone who works with Autistic children I can sympathize with you. They are such a great tool and have so many uses.

I want you to know that Google is releasing a YouTube app specifically for iPad in October. Until the add m.YouTube.com as a bookmark on your home screen. It's better than the current iPhone version YouTube app on the iPad for sure. Good luck!

8. zunex

zunex New Member

Since Youtube app is missing on iOS 6 atm, I've tried several third-party Youtube streaming apps and found that Jasmine was pretty good. Definitely no app can compare with the official one from Google, which is expected to be released in the next month.

9. Jim B

Jim B New Member

10. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold