iOS7.0 vs 7.02 vs 7. whatever's next (?)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dmoskaluk, Oct 9, 2013.

1. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Ok, 7.0 showed up on my iPhone 4S and my iPad mini back mid Sept.... I did not do anything , simply being cautious and not enough of an expert to jump right in, until some feedback was generated and a few bugs (teething issues) addressed. A that initial stage, my understanding was that I could, when I was ready, download either over the air (wifi) or use my Mac and a cable to the devices. It seems that the update then ( after a week or so) downloaded on its own, and now sits 'locked and loaded' to be installed. .... I now see that the version downloaded is 7.02 and it as well is ready to install. Can I safely assume that if/when 7.03, or .04 comes out, that they will simply overwrite what's ready to go now, so that one install only will be required, which will be in effect, from iOS 6.1.3 to 7.0x all in one process. Yes I will do it eventually, but I'm the sort that is quite happy to let the experts out there sort out any early and predictable bugs that are bound to happen with an update that could be deemed 'an organ transplant' :)
    I also keep getting a box displayed on my desktop (Mac) similarly asking about 'install' as opposed to 'download/install‘ when I connect my iPhone to it to charge. Thanks folks, from a happy hammock in the Caribbean ..... David

Sent using iCafe app

2. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, all new updates override and include all previous updates. The current iOS is 7.0.2.

3. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

In an ideal world, it would be nice if updates could be handled in much the same way as we did updates to the navigation databases on the aircraft I used to fly with the airline ( I retired a few years ago) .... On a monthly cycle, the databases on board would be renewed and refreshed, with whatever amendments were required to airport and en-route charting. The 'new' database would usually be activated within the first days of the month ( a simply flip of a virtual switch ) but the old database would reside in the computer, inactive until mid month, when it would be replaced with next months 'new' database which would be inactive. Then would come change of month, the 'new' would be activated, and the old remain dormant. That way, if there was something grievously wrong with any of the data in what was new ( corrupted or simply erroneous -which could be serious) one could simply deactivate the only data which was tried and true ( at least one could do that in the first half of any month. One would not ever activate a new database prematurely, as the changes to data for maps had to coincide with what was legal-and the real non virtual world was synchronized on the same updating cycle. Just a thought ..... A similar protocol would eliminate the grief caused to some who upgrade and find the new version not to their liking, and do not have the go-back option, whether the dissatisfaction is/was due actual glitches, or simply someone unhappy with the cosmetics or anything else which has changed. Whether there is enough storage in most phones to hold the 2 may be an issue for some, bu lets say my iPhone/iPad now have both the old iOS6 ( in use ) and the new iOS7 downloaded and ready to go ....... David

Sent using iCafe app