iOS7 Blue Screen of Death

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Sharunda, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I am not a happy camper and I'm hoping Apple is working on a fix for this right now.

So far my issue is not as severe as some others that I have read about in the Apple Support Community and generally on the internet, but it still happened to me and it's still totally out of the blue.

I was doing some tasks on my iPhone 5s just a few moments ago (today is 10/3/13 8:55am) and I had to open Numbers to check my budget. Yes, I have a household budget. We don't spend willy-nilly, although I'd love to! Anyhow, I had to check the numbers and I was satisfied with the October budget numbers for this week knowing what bill is scheduled to pay on Friday and I got out of the App. As soon as I got out of the App and tried to go and do something else on the iPhone 5s, I was greeted with a big, unwelcoming blue screen that I can only remember seeing on an old Dell computer back in the day at work.

WHAT!? Total disbelief! How in the world is my brand new iPhone 5s showing me the dreaded BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH?!

What happened?

Well of course, I came here to the eiC. My spot for information, news, rumors, facts and help of all things Apple. I didn't see any mention of the Blue Screen of Death, so I hit a Google search. Yes this is a real thing. Yes it's happening to a lot of other people. Yes it's software related to iOS7 and the 7.02 update and the brand new free iWorks suite. All things I wondered about. Is it iOS 7 related or just iWorks related? It's both and then even other Apps are in on the Blue Screen of Death deal. Ultimately it's all iOS 7's fault. Apple Get On It!

I have the iWorks suite but I purchased them a while ago. During my restoring my new iPhone 5s with my last backup from my iPhone 5, I remember seeing my iWorks suite Apps being updated automatically by iTunes although there were no updates in my App queue. It was putting the new version on my iPhone 5s and as I recall, that actually caused a problem during my restore. I had to start it all over again when it was basically done and the whole set up process took double the time. I started at 5 or 6 and it didn't end until 12midnight because of this.

So, if anyone has any woe stories of experiencing the DREADED BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, tell us. If you have any info on this bug, let us know. Let us current victims know that we are not alone in this.

(Dag on it! I think I have to raise the Tarp again. There may be a bigger turnout for this issue than the waiting for the iPhone 5s to arrive issue.)

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is the first I've heard of it. Were you able to restore it? Did Apple say if it was caused by restoring from a backup with iWorks or just iWorks in general?

3. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Hey Europa!

It happened this AM and I didn't call Apple. The support pages that I glanced at didn't have responses from any Apple employees so I don't know what they are doing about this, but they are aware of it. Well, I suppose they are because it's discussed on the Support pages.

I believe this blue screen issue was caused by the new iWorks suite being installed on my iPhone.

Initially I was able to get my iPhone 5s functional with the backup from my iPhone 5. When this happened today the iPhone 5s showed me the blue screen, it then went black and the Apple popped up and then about three minutes later the iPhone came back. After it came back I was hesitant to do anything on it. When I did, it was slow and it stalled so I did a hard reset and so far it's okay. But from what I've read, it just may reoccur again. I don't want that.

Now that I'm thinking about it, a few days after the new iOS7 install on my iPhone 5 I had an incident where the iPhone cut off and went to a black screen, not even a white Apple. I had to do a hard reset and it came back.

4. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

I haven't experienced this, but I do have it do like soft reboot...kinda like when youre jailbroken and you reboot to apply a change. Its starting to really irritate me.

Im sorry this is happening :( hopefully they adderss it soon.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's called a respring. It's a jailbreak feature, but it can happen on stock iPhones as well. Opening Newsstand on iOS 6 after a tweak had been used to get it into a folder would force a respring.

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Well Apple better get to unspringing this respring ASAP. I don't want this to happen to me again when I'm in the middle of doing something important like posting to the eIC forum!

7. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

I couldnt remember the term for the life of me. Thank you!

It usually happens when I am watching netflix or something clearly super important.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is yours respringing in addition to getting the BSOD? I would restore it to factory settings if it is and probably avoid iWorks for the time being. I prefer to start from scratch each year on my new phones rather than using a backup from an old phone on old firmware. I use the backups throughout the year, but I start with a clean slate at the beginning of the year. It's a bit of a PITA and I think it took me nearly two hours to get it completely set up and each app working, logged in and accessible over the internet. But I think it decreases the chances of experiencing problems of this sort.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Have you tried reinstalling Netflix?

10. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

I only updated and I haven't gotten a 5s...I haven't decided if I will or not, but I may give it a fresh start and see if that fixes the problem.

11. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

Everytime it happens I do a hard reset. All I really remember is the last time it was in the middle of Parenthood. It may have been during other things, but I don't remember. When it happens again Ill take note. I know I saw a thread about this exact problem here a week or so ago, but I haven't really looked for it. I get so easily distracted around here.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would just reinstall it whenever you get a chance since it's an ongoing problem. That typically fixes that sort of problem.