iOS7 question

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Scotty Hagerman, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Scotty Hagerman

Scotty Hagerman New Member

So a friend of my taught he was doing me a favor by secretly installing iOS7 on my iPhone4. Once I figured out, I am NOT technologically savvy at all, I did a system factory restore. It did not help. When I connect with iTunes it says "Activation error. This Device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Program."

Another friend of mine suggested to put phone into DFU Mode, but my power button does NOT work. When the iPhone is on (plugged into outlet or computer) it is stuck in the "Select Your Country or Region" screen---sometimes it will show the Apple and connection cable as well.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks

Scott

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It sounds like it had beta 1 installed without getting your UDID registered with Apple through a developer's account. Is that correct? This is no longer allowed on beta 2 or any subsequent beta versions of iOS 7. A factory restore should put it back on 6.1.3. Do you have a valid SIM card in the phone? So just to clarify, you simply pressed the restore button in iTunes rather than hitting the shift key first and browsing for a firmware, right?

3. Scotty Hagerman

Yes, there is a SIM card is the phone. The factory restore or reset was actually done by going into settings and doing it there. Not in iTunes.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You need to restore in iTunes on your computer. It won't work from the Settings app since it needs to completely remove iOS 7 and install the full 6.1.3. The Settings app just lets you wipe data and install incremental updates.

5. Scotty Hagerman

I can not access my phone from iTunes. When I did the first reset it was from my phone in the settings. Now, whenever I connect my iPhone to the computer and iTunes comes up it says, "Activation error. This Device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Program." There are no options or anything inside iTunes.

6. Scotty Hagerman

The iOS7 worked fine. I just wanted it removed. So that's when I went into settings and did Erase All Content and Settings. Now when I connect it to iTunes, it has no options available and the screen in iTunes only says, ""Activation error. This Device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Program."

7. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

You need to put your phone in DFU mode and when you connect the phone iTunes will prompt you to restore the phone.

You can find videos on YouTube with tutorials on putting your phone in DFU.

8. Scotty Hagerman

I can't figure out how to enter DFU mode with out a proper power button in the iPhone and without iTunes working--I have no options in iTunes.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try doing a hard reset on the phone and rebooting the computer. Try a different computer if that doesn't work. Post back if that doesn't work.
    The power button doesn't work on the phone.

10. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

Can't do a hard reset without the power button either.

Buy a slot from a developer if iTunes will show you your udid.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oops! Oh yeah.

12. Scotty Hagerman

Same thing on a different computer, but that was without a hard reset. My power button on the top of the iPhone doesn't work.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Good idea. He might be able to do a legit install of iOS 7 after buying the slot and then downgrade properly through iTunes after that.

14. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

15. Scotty Hagerman

iTunes is not showing anything other than the screen that says, ""Activation error. This Device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Program."

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would do what Shutter13 just suggested and buy a slot so you can get iOS 7 legitimately installed. Then you can try downgrading in iTunes from there.

17. Scotty Hagerman

I can not access the "restore" or "check for update" options in iTunes. As soon as the iPhone is connected to iTunes, it immediately says, ""Activation error. This Device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Program" and has no other options.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay. First try using the directions Shutter posted for DFU mode without a power button. If that doesn't work, you'll need to try registering your UDID. If that doesn't work the only thing I can think of is taking it to the Genius Bar.

19. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

If you buy a developer slot, your phone will be registered and that error should go away.

20. Scotty Hagerman

The option that shutter posted will not work b/c it requires iTunes to recognize the phone.