iPad 1 battery lifespan - anyone any idea

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pipedream, Apr 22, 2012.

1. pipedream

pipedream New Member

Hi all,

My first post !

I have a first generation 64gb 3G iPad which has been in constant and heavy daily use for three years.

It has always lasted all day between charges

I have noticed that the battery is loosing its charge more quickly than it has in the past and I now need to top up the battery a couple of times a day.

I have downloaded a couple of battery management apps, and followed the tips for prolonging battery life, but the situation does not improve

I know that the battery cannot be expected to last forever, but does anyone have any idea what the expected lifespan should be

Thanks

PS I am not really looking for an excuse to upgrade !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

I'm not exactly sure about this but I've read something about 800-1000 charges. Again it could have been lower! The other thing is that the iPad came out in March- April 2010 so it's really only been 2 years, as iPad 2 came last March- April, and the new iPad this March.

3. HansMayer

HansMayer New Member

If you're not looking for an excuse to upgrade, just replace the battery. You find a guide on how to do that on iFixIt.com, but there are companies who do it for you as well.

4. pipedream

pipedream New Member

Thanks, just goes to show how much my iPad has become part of my world. You are right it is just 2 years since I have had it ! Given that it is charged every night it it must be close to 800 charges, so perhaps it is getting towards the end of its life. I see that Apple offer a battery replacement service which seems reasonable. However given the way that the iPhone has gone, I am not sure if it is worth investing in extending its life for another two years as it may not keep up with apps. Perhaps eBay calls ?

5. HansMayer

HansMayer New Member

6. Sundy89

Sundy89 New Member

Take good care of it or its lifespan will be longer.