iPad 2 buying suggestions

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
So I've finally amassed enough money to buy the Wifi 64 GB model. However, now that I think about it, I'm convincing myself that I may not need 64 GB and that 32 GB will suffice.

I am a movie buff with an extensive collection, but I've noticed that most SD MP4 movie files are between 700 - 1,000 mb. I can definitely store a bunch of movies on it without running out of space. I will also have a bunch of music on it, but I don't envision using it too much for music since my iPhone 4 doubles as my music player/iPod.

I only travel maybe two to three times a year and I'll mostly be using this at home and while at work (don't tell the bosses!).

Basically, are there any 32 GB owners here that regret not purchasing the 64 GB model?

I'll probably be making the purchase today.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
Ha, no I can't wait anymore!

Ever since I got to play with the company iPad, I've been wanting to get one. If that iPad HD is a must-have, I'll sell the iPad 2 for it (much like I'm going to do with my new iPhone 4 for the next iPhone model).

Jul 5, 2011
I say if you can afford the 64GB, go for it. better to have more than need more later. BTW, I just bought a 32GB one. What movies program do yo use to put movies on your Ipad?

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
Well, yes, I do have $770 saved just for the 64 GB, but my thoughts are I can save that extra $100 and apply it towards the inevitable accessories such as the cover, screen protector, third-party cables etc.

All along, I didn't want to add any additional charges to my credit cards for this, which is why I literally set aside this money, so if I did get the 64 GB, then those accessories would be added to the credit cards.

For the movies, I have a slew of programs on my computer that can get the job done. Depending on the quality, converting DVDs can be simple and/or time consuming. If I recall, Handbrake is the easiest one for conversion -- but again, almost any video converter out there can get the job done adequately.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
I just thought of something: according to the Apple website, it'll ship within 3-5 businesss days. If I place the order now, before noon local time, do you think it'll ship with the current firmware so that I can jailbreak it when it arrives?

It would really suck if it arrived with 4.3.4.

iapplebro

Jul 19, 2011
So I've finally amassed enough money to buy the Wifi 64 GB model. However, now that I think about it, I'm convincing myself that I may not need 64 GB and that 32 GB will suffice.
I decided to get the 32 gb model and so far after a month and a half of usage, 32 gb is definitely enough. When I am running out of space I usually have watched enough where I could delete the movies and tv shows I already watched and have plenty to add the new stuff. I would go with the 32 gb its plenty :)

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
What really swayed me is that I thought I was going to have all sorts of music and video on it. While I do already have about six movies on it, and 8 gigs of music, I realized that I don't really have much of a need to store music on it simply because wherever I am, I'll have my iPhone. Whether it's listening to it with headphones or plugging it into the many docked speakers I have for it, I'll never use the iPad for music. Because of that, I went with the 32gb. I haven't regretted it (yet). :D

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
32gb is the sweet spot. But if you ask me, I would rather have to much space than not enough. :)