iPad 2 camera not working

Discussion in 'iPad 2' started by furndaddy, May 11, 2012.

1. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

The camera on my son's iPad 2 has stopped working. The shutter will not open. I have tried several fixes, including closing the app out and reopening and a hard reset. Nothing has worked thus far. I'm hoping to find a fix soon, as he is needing the camera operational for a school trip next week. Any ideas?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Hate to say the 'R' word, but have you tried a restore yet? Could be hardware related, but maybe a restore to factory settings would do something. ?

3. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah, I'm almost ready to resort to restore. I'll admit though, it makes me a bit nervous. I've never had to do a restore to any of my devices, and I'm unsure what the impact will be.

4. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Restores are a pain in the butt, however they are fine just take a long time. I've never done a restore where I start from new but I've done a couple where I restore from back up and everything works fine. It always puts my iDevices back the way they were.

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

You are talking about the "virtual" shutter you see when you open the camera?:

46b5c2e5-3587-b1a7.jpg

A quick check over on the Apple support forums, a few report letting the iPad completely drain and subsequent recharge fixed issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3089571?start=0&tstart=0

A few other suggestions:
    Force close camera app from App Switcher.
    Check device memory. There may not be enough for photos....

6. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks for the input. I have tried all of these fixes with no luck. I am going to attempt to restore from an earlier back-up. If this doesn't solve the problem I'll try a restore to new. After that I'll consult the geniuses. Hopefully it won't get that far.

7. David Phillips

David Phillips New Member

I asked in the local Apple shop and all I got was a big fat, "you'll have to buy a new one". I have a good mind to go to Samsung

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Please be mindful of our profanity filters. :D

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I was...7 months ago. LOL