iPad 2 camera not working

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

furndaddy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 16, 2010
Indiana
The camera on my son's iPad 2 has stopped working. The shutter will not open. I have tried several fixes, including closing the app out and reopening and a hard reset. Nothing has worked thus far. I'm hoping to find a fix soon, as he is needing the camera operational for a school trip next week. Any ideas?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Hate to say the 'R' word, but have you tried a restore yet? Could be hardware related, but maybe a restore to factory settings would do something. ?

furndaddy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 16, 2010
Indiana
Yeah, I'm almost ready to resort to restore. I'll admit though, it makes me a bit nervous. I've never had to do a restore to any of my devices, and I'm unsure what the impact will be.

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
Restores are a pain in the butt, however they are fine just take a long time. I've never done a restore where I start from new but I've done a couple where I restore from back up and everything works fine. It always puts my iDevices back the way they were.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
You are talking about the "virtual" shutter you see when you open the camera?:

46b5c2e5-3587-b1a7.jpg

A quick check over on the Apple support forums, a few report letting the iPad completely drain and subsequent recharge fixed issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3089571?start=0&tstart=0

A few other suggestions:
Force close camera app from App Switcher.
Check device memory. There may not be enough for photos....

furndaddy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 16, 2010
Indiana
Thanks for the input. I have tried all of these fixes with no luck. I am going to attempt to restore from an earlier back-up. If this doesn't solve the problem I'll try a restore to new. After that I'll consult the geniuses. Hopefully it won't get that far.