iPad 2 or a decent PC

Jackc95

Bronze
Jun 9, 2010
Recently my laptop (my dad's old laptop) around 3-4 years old broke. The reason being is it won't charge, but anyway I made a deal with my dad about how because my laptop broke I would (hopefully) get an iPad 2 or a decent laptop with a fairly good amount of memory, a nice processor, and some ram. I'm leaning towards the laptop, however it would be nice to have an iPad. What do you think?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Got an existing desktop that can do the games, leaving you free to do the rest on an iPad?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2009
yes, the iPad is not a computer replacement. Pretty limited in capabilities compared to a real PC or laptop. Some things (programs) are "doable" on the iPad but they are watered down versions of the PC software.

Just depends on what you do. Games not in a app store....nope. Web based games....so so but mostly no.

Jackc95

Bronze
Jun 9, 2010
The reason I would probably rather have an iPad over a laptop with average specs is because I would take my iPad way more places than the laptop. Mainly because of the 3G because I don't have a hotspot for a laptop and don't want to do that whole internet tethering stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Sep 18, 2011
How about a decent tablet pc? Could probably play your games and still be very portable. On top of that it can play flash videos which is a minus with the iPad if it's your only web access.

Jackc95

Bronze
Jun 9, 2010
How about a decent tablet pc? Could probably play your games and still be very portable. On top of that it can play flash videos which is a minus with the iPad if it's your only web access.
Can you still jailbreak the iPad 2 and enable flash for safari?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

And there's this:
With Adobe Flash Media Server 4.5, media publishers now have a single, simple workflow for delivering content using the same stream to Flash-enabled devices or to the Apple iPhone and iPad.
In other words, Adobe's solution repackages content in real-time, changing the protocol to suit the target device, HTTP Dynamic Streaming or HLS, for example. This should mean that iOS devices will get much of the advantages of Flash video support, without the processor degradation and battery life cost of the format in use on other devices.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/18922/adobe_brings_flash_free_flash_to_apple_ipad_iPhone

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
This basically serves publishers looking specifically at delivering content to iOS. I would think though that such publishers would have already made the move to HTML5.

Those that have opted not to take this path would have to examine both the install and ongoing costs of Adobe's solutions vs move to HTML5.

Really, Flash consumes under 3% of my battery on a day to day basis.