iPad 2 or iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad 3' started by TheJustPull, Jan 23, 2012.

1. TheJustPull

TheJustPull Member
    Bronze

Will the 3 be that much better then the Ipad 2? I am currently toying with getting a tablet but haven't decided yet what I am going with. Right now it is between the Kindle Fire, ipad 2 or wait for the 3. Not sure how much more the 3 will be over the 2, do you think they will drop the price down on the 2 when the 3 comes out?

What are your thoughts?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

We won't know anything definitive until an official announcement. All we have to go on is rumor and speculation, and we're very good at that.

3. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

It can safely be said the iPad3 won't be worse than the ipad2. :)

4. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Might even say that it can't be worse ;) (tone: like TWSS or couldn't care less - not meant to be a crack on the iPad)

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

5. TheJustPull

TheJustPull Member
    Bronze

But how much of an improvment will it be? The announcement is supposed to be in Feb sometime right?

6. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Quad-Core A6 chip
    4G LTE
    20Hrs of battery life
    Retina Display
    Possibly Siri
    1mm thicker
    Improved cameras (FaceTime HD and 8MP rumored)?

7. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

At this point, if you can wait till April, then hold off on a purchase. I was going to grab an iPad2, but since the speculation is a Feb announcement and March release, I'm waiting. I might still get the iPad2 because the price will drop once the new model is released.
    (btw, I keep running across deal sites that are selling 64GB iPad 1's with AT&T 3G for around $450. To me, that's clearing inventory for a new model. Just saying...)

8. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I'm anxiously waiting the announcement for the iPad 3 and that's the one I'm going to finally get.

I'm hoping they'll make a bigger HD 128Gig along with all the other (rumored) improvements.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

A higher resolution screen may tip the scales for me, that's for sure.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm waiting. It will probabably be announced in late Feb or early March and released less than a month later.

11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

That would be nice. I don't have an iPad now, but I've seen them and a higher resolution screen would be amazing on that device.

A higher resolution screen might also get a lot of people to buy when they had no plans to upgrade, besides all the other stuff.

That seems to be the pattern with Apple and the release of the iPad. I was just wondering if there would be a pre-order time and date like with the iPhone.

12. tybirdtybird

tybirdtybird Contributor
    Bronze

I have iPad 2 wifi 3g now and love it. I would get wifi & 3G if you ever need 3G you got it. That what I was thinking when I got mine.

I'm thinking the 3 would have better screen and 8 mp camera for sure. I don't think I would ever use Siri on my iPad I do on my 4S.

13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I'm hoping they'll drop the wifi model all together, if I want 3G I shouldn't have to pay another $100. For $500 I should be able to get both.

I say the next iPad will be 2 models, I smaller one and one the same size. That's a better option for me, plus the 16, 32 and the 64 gigs models option.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'll buy it in a heartbeat if it's around 7". I want WiFi only since I can tether my phone to it.

15. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Can't see the new iPad2s-3 whatever they call it being any smaller as Steve jobs said Apple wouldn't go down the 7" road as he didn't like the size,plus I agree the camera will be updated to 8mgp but I've never used my camera on my iPad,I use iPhone4s then download pics to ipad2,also read that the new iPad will be summer maybe autum due to manufacturing delays,ie they can't make enough of them....plus the iPad 2 is still selling like hot cakes so why not wait till they get enough ipad3 ready....just a thought

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

16. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Yes there will be an ipad3,but wasn't we all saying the same thing when the iPhone 4s was due out, oh it's going to have a completely new form with a 4" screen and a chrome back plate with NFC and there could be two new iPhone models a cheap version and the iPhone5,you never know what Apple are up to....

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

17. capri

capri Member
    Bronze

i have an ipad1 and I still use it very much. I skipped the IPAD2 but might consider the IPAD3 when it comes out.
    Based on experience, I will get the 32g version w/o the 3G.
    I currently have the IPAD1 with 64g and 3g. I have only used about 12gig and zero use for the 3g.

18. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

I love my iPad 1, 64g, 3g. The new iPad will have to make me want to part with the coins and my limited imagination doesn't see it.

19. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

For those weighing the options of whether to get a cellular enabled iPad or not, here is what you have to consider:
    Where you use it. This is going to dictate connectivity
    How much internet is going to be available to you. (coffee shops, home, work)
    How often you expect you will want or need internet (this is a tough one, because some people find that they get along fine with just wifi, while others find they need access everywhere.)

For many of you, the cellular connection is going to be a waste of money. Others will find that they cannot live without it. For me, I am trying to decide what will suit my needs. I do a LOT with my phone, and I am trying to figure out which of those functions will be taken over by my iPad. As of right now, I cannot see a reason to have a cellular model. (plus, if I can tether it to my phone, then it makes a wifi only a smarter choice anyway)
    Make sure that you really think about your needs. whatever your determination is, remember that there is still a bunch of things you haven't come up with that might change your mind. Try to cover all your bases with research.

20. Christopher Meinck

Christopher Meinck Administrator
    Administrator

That would be me. It's been almost a year with the iPad 2 3G. Haven't used the 3G connection once. Not once.