iPad 2 Questions

Jan 16, 2012
VA
So I'm seriously considered getting an iPad2 (yes, even in light of the forthcoming iPad 3) to use primarily as an eReader. Have an iPod & iPhone so it won't be getting much use as a music player or a video/movie screen beyond streaming (youtube or pandora). If I want to sit and watch stuff I usually pop out my laptop.

But anyway...

I know the iPad can read any file in .epub format and I plan on using iBooks, and Nook & Kindle for iPad. So my question then, is this:

If the only additional (not pre-installed) Apps I put on the iPad are Pandora Radio, Facebook, and maybe Angry Birds, which size iPad would be best for me? I'm debating between the 16GB and 32GB. To put things into perspective: I've had my 30GB iPod for approximately 6 years (the music is NOT going on my iPad) and I just recently hit the 20GB mark in terms of occupied capacity. Oh, and I don't want the 3G capable iPad, just the WiFi one. Don't know if that helps give y'all any more info.

I just want to have a better idea what I'd have available in terms of space before I drop 500-600$ on something. So any feedback is appreciated!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
If you are only using it for books and a handful of apps and games 16GB should be more than enough. Any reason why you're not just going for more of a dedicated eBook reader device?

Jan 16, 2012
VA
I was going to get the Nook since my sister has one but if B&N goes the way of Borders I don't want to run the risk of NOT being able to get my books. And while I'm impressed with the Kindle Fire...I'm nervous about going back to an Android device.

So I'm not 100% committed one way or the other, the more information I have the better. Y'know.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Makes sense to gather all the info. Sounds to me like if the small handful of apps are not a big deal to you, you might want to just get a normal Kindle, rather than a Fire or an iPad.

Dom't get me wrong, the iPad is an amazing device and will let you do so much more than a Kindle - but if you only want an eBook reader you can pay a fraction of the price for a Kindle.

Jan 16, 2012
VA
kk. Definitely something I'll keep in mind as I'm doing all my research.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I agree that a 16Gb version will do you just fine. If you do get an iPad, I bet you will find you will be doing more that just reading e-books on it :D