iPad 2 Smashed

fithgear66

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Iresq might have cheaper repair costs than Apple. Apple charged $100 for iPhone screens can't imagine what they charge for iPads.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I've owned an iPhone since 2007, had them all, over the winter I broke the glass for the first time, they replaced my iPhone for free, it's customer service like Apple's that is the reason I dropped 2,500 on a MacBook pro.
I still think $2500 for a laptop is ludicrous!

I've owned my Toshiba 15" for about 3 years now, I've never had a problem with it, still works perfectly fine, and it only cost me $500 brand new! I could buy 5 of my laptops for the price of a Mac...geee, you gotta really love Apple!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Apple's customer service really is second to none. They get it. They keep their customers happy, eat some costs here and there, and end up raking it iup in the end due to rabid loyalty. I wish more companies would take the hint and step up.

fithgear66

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
wow, amazing customer service. I wonder how they decide who they give free ones too, as I can't imagine them giving them to every customer with a broken iPad. Maybe you were wearing his favorite baseball team cap?

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
wow, amazing customer service. I wonder how they decide who they give free ones too, as I can't imagine them giving them to every customer with a broken iPad. Maybe you were wearing his favorite baseball team cap?
His reason was pretty clear. I only had it 2 weeks, accidents happen, they want me happy. I was wearing work clothes. Khakis and jacket lol

Timbo68

Apr 7, 2011
I am new to Apple myself and this story sure makes me look at Apple a different way for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
His reason was pretty clear. I only had it 2 weeks, accidents happen, they want me happy. I was wearing work clothes. Khakis and jacket lol
I see your story made it to the front page of eiC, as well it should !
Amazing customer service indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I see your story made it to the front page of eiC, as well it should !
Amazing customer service indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
Yes I was happy to see this. Apple's great customer service should be highlighted. I hope enough people see it and decide to buy an Apple product because of it. It would at least cover the cost of my clumsiness lol.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Why I Love Apple (this deserved a title - guess how it turns out)
Went into the Apple Store at 6:50 for my 7:10 genius bar appointment, was helped around 6:55.

I was asked what they could help me with. I did a half laugh, half whimper and pulled out this iPad 2 turned abomination. Explained my store in full and was completely honost. 10 minutes later after he had written his report, he explains the following. This is as close as I can get it to word for word

"We can't replace the glass because the damage is too severe. That costs $250. We will have to replace the whole thing. This costs $349. But, we understand accidents happen, and you just got this 2 weeks ago. Apple isn't trying to break anyone's bank. We want you to enjoy it. So we are going to replace it for free."

I felt like giving the guy a hug, but instead just breathed a sigh of releif and said, (probably 3 or 4 times), "I can't tell you how miuch I appreciate that."

So in 3-5 businesss days they are going to give me a call at which time I bring back the broken one (I took it home with me) and they give me a brand new one. Man, if I was a fanboy before, im not sure what I am now, but I have definitely been promoted. I'm not a religious person at all, but leaving the Apple store I immediately pulled behind someone in my car who had a license plate that said "THKQGOD"

Today I was supposed to meet my girlfriend at her house at 5:30, but I was finishing up a podcast and didn't get out of my house until 6. When it happened I had that feeling that if I had left when I was supposed to this wouldn't have happened. I was actually thinking in my head that someone was out to get me. Crazyness
That, my friend, is awesome.

You scammer! j/k lol but that is what everyone else would have called me if I would have posted this thread. Kinda funny I know ...
You, my friend, would have dropped it on purpose just to get a new one because that one had light-bleeding, or something else. Come on, now, tell the truth! LOL ;)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Yes I was happy to see this. Apple's great customer service should be highlighted. I hope enough people see it and decide to buy an Apple product because of it. It would at least cover the cost of my clumsiness lol.
Hey, at least you didn't drop it in the toilet or bath, like some really clumsy people have done.

iBanana

Silver
Jan 15, 2010
United States
I read the article this morning. I was really happy they replaced it for you. Sometimes you just get the right genius on the right day. :)

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I read the article this morning. I was really happy they replaced it for you. Sometimes you just get the right genius on the right day. :)
Yeah I agree. But even a different Apple Store employee who I spoke to over the phone was great and explained that they understand accidents happen. I mean he did tell me to come in with the expectation of having to pay, but he said they will see what they can do for me based on the damage.

iBanana

Silver
Jan 15, 2010
United States
I had something similar happen. I dropped my 3gs in the toilet getting ready to go out one night and the next day I took it in knowing they would do nothing. 3 months later after an iOS upgrade it started acting funny and the manager gave me a replacement because I did bring it in and in the notes it wasn't showing the problems it was when I took it in. I was really happy about that.