iPad 3 opening mail prematurely

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I have an iPad 3 running the latest version of iOS. If I receive an e-mail that is junk mail or I believe to be suspect, I naturally would not want to open it. My iPad however, when I select a received e-mail for deletion without opening it, the iPad opens the e-mail anyway in the screen behind the bar running down the left side of the screen. This also happens when I select an e-mail in the trash folder for deletion. When the iPad opens an e-mail potentially containing a virus, I am worried about causing a viral infection in my iPad. Is there any way to prevent this. My iPhone 5, running the same iOS version and with identical mail settings does not exhibit this behavior. I realize that the possibility of an infection is remote as very few virus' are written for iOS but why should I take a chance if I don't have to?

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
From the Inbox (or any mail folder) select a message in the box that isn't the one you are worried about and it will display in the preview pane. From that screen if you simply select Edit at the top left of the mailbox screen it will allow you to select as many messages as you want (without actually opening them) and delete them by selecting the dot to the left of the message. While it will open a sort of thumbnail preview of the message when you do this it doesn't appear to actually open it or read it because if you select an unread message and then cancel this action they remain in an unread state in the folder.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Thank You Talon90 for the response. It is the inbox preview pane (thanks, I couldn't remember the correct term for it) that concerns me. In the PC world and with MS Outlook in particular most people advise that the preview pane option be turned off to avoid viruses that can infect a computer simply by opening the e-mail containing them and nothing more. I took that advice after acquiring an infection in exactly that manner. I have learned from other sources that there is no way to turn off that preview pane in the iPad's e-mail inbox. Every e-mail selected for deletion to the Trash folder is previewed behind the preview of the first selected e-mail. Once an e-mail is in the trash folder, selecting edit followed by Delete All provides a method to delete an e-mail without the preview pane opening it first but by then it is too late. As I stated in my original post, I realize I am probably being a bit paranoid but once burnt, twice shy. Thanks again, I appreciate your efforts.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Update: I just now found out that if you swipe across a suspect e-mail, listed in the inbox, a red Delete button pops up and the message can be sent to the trash folder un-previewed and then deleted from the Trash folder as described above.

Last edited by a moderator: