iPad 3 or MacBook Pro? -- Convince me.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bballrob, Mar 15, 2012.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Oct 11, 2009
    OK, I've had both iPads, and iPhones since the 3GS. But I've always had windows based computers. My current laptop is a Toshiba netbook. It's a little over 3 years old and it's about time to upgrade. I primarily use it for creating Word Docs, Excel Spreadsheets, a few PowerPoints, Websurfing, and music management.

I wasn't that impressed with the new iPAd announcement, and had pretty much decided I'm not going to upgrade to the new model. But of course, over the past week, I've been back and forth. Didn't do the pre-order.

I've been thinking that rather than throw the money at that, to invest that money into a new laptop instead, and am thinking seriously about the MacBook Pro.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? New iPad, or MacBook Pro? And what has been the experience of others in changing from the Windows platform to Mac?

2. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Feb 19, 2011
    I'm in the same boat, with the exception of I'm thinking MBA. I am a pc as well. We can partition the MBA to run windows on it along side the iOS on Mac. Although as far as space wise, I am unsure of how big of space we will need. I know from looking at the mbp that they do have the space and you can get more. Why a Mac pro if you don't mind me asking? I need it for the same things as you, ie word, excel and PowerPoint. I have drop box for my iPad 2 but it's not the same in my opinion as having it on a laptop.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Oct 11, 2009
    There are 2 main things pushing me toward the MBP. 1 -- The size of the hard drive, at 500 GB vs max of 256 GB on the MBA. 2 -- I'm still not ready to give up the DVD/CD Drive. I've gone without it on my current laptop, but I have to say I've missed it at times.

I also use dropbox, but not being able to edit on the iPad is a hindrance.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Dec 12, 2008
    I switched from Windows to OS X in 2008. I currently have an iMac and plan on buying a 2012 MBP. I sold my 2008 MacBook to iFixit for almost $700 a few months ago. Apple computers have a high resale value, just like iPhones do. The new MBPs might be out as soon as April. A MBP will cost twice as much an iPad, so budget is one of the main factors if you're trying to choose between the two. It also has a much higher storage capacity and the ability to run programs. So it really depends on what you'll mainly be using it for. You can get a SuperDrive (external USB drve) if they decide to nix the optical drive in the MBPs this year.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...ebut_in_april_with_ivy_bridge_i5_i7_cpus.html

#4 Europa, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Dec 12, 2008
    Have you tried Docs to go?

7. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Oct 11, 2009
    Budget issues are covered, so that's not a consideration at this time.

I have not tried Docs to go. I seem to recall that one from my blackberry days.

I've also noticed that Best Buy sells them for less than the Apple Store. Where would you purchase, and do you think that Apple Care or Best Buy's Black Tie Protection coverage plan is better?

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Jun 21, 2010
    I would go with the MBP. It will do everything your doing now and so much more than the iPad.
    Oh hell, splurge and get both! :D

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Dec 12, 2008
    I bought both of my Macs at BestBuy since they sell them for about $50 less and I got around $80 back on each in Reward Zone certificates. I have Apple Care+ for my iPhone, but no extra coverage on my Mac since it's quite a bit more expensive and accidental damage is less likely since it's not portable.

10. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Jul 21, 2010
    Once you buy a MacBook, you know you made the right decision. Mine is 4 years old and I freaking love it, never had problems with it.
    If you give me a choice between MacBook, iPhone and iPad and I could only have one, I would go with a MacBook.

11. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

Mar 8, 2012
    I was in the same boat. I have always been a PC guy. Hell...I have built +30 of them for businesss and personal use. Never thought I would own an Apple laptop. A few things changed my mind. I began seeing more and more people (associates) using the iPad for businesss purposes and also needed to upgrade my Lenovo laptop.

When iCloud and iMatch were released I decided to investigate the iPad2 as a replacement. Subsequent research led me to the following "personal" choice:

- I purchased an MBAir, 13.3, 256GB, 1.8 GHz (i7 Sandybridge)

Take a "realistic" look at storage (this always seems to direct my decisions). Right click on C: and see what you are actually using and if you truly need 500GB. I also signed up with GoToMyPC which makes interface with my desktop a breeze. Other services and Apps allow you to do this.

MBAir vs. MBP- can't go wrong with either. $79 for the Superdrive (DVD) when/if you need one. Selection really comes down to storage and travel habits. Apple also makes it easy to run Win7 64-bit in case you require it, or can't yet say goodbye.

- I purchased an iPad2 (and now have a new iPad on the way)

I can live without it but I'm not going to. Automatic syncing with MBAir (and iPhone) when in WiFi range. Can use it for 100% laptop replacement especially if you use a service like GTMPC. I still "need" my MBAir though.

If I had to have one (agree with Bennyboy) go the MBAir/MBP route.

12. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

Jul 14, 2007
    Macbook Pro all the way. There's no way I'd go with an iPad instead of a Macbook Pro. I would recommend looking at the Macbook Air as well. It will really depend on what you're going to be doing with your machine. If you're looking at doing some SERIOUS computing (video, photo editing, website design...) go with the MBP. However, if it's mainly for school stuff and what you described, a 13' Air might be great for you. You may be giving up the disc drive IN the machine, but you can always have an external for minimal cost. Top it off with a Henge Dock & a monitor and you've got a desktop! I have my 15"MBP in a Henge Dock with a 24" monitor...works like a charm.

I LOVE my iPad...but need my MBP for real work. I can do "some" work on the iPad...but it's mainly for document editing, not complete creation. To me, it defeats the purpose of having an iPad if you add a keyboard to it. However, for e-books, internet, email, news, magazines, movies, TV shows...and other ways I've incorporated it into my job (teaching, music, etc) it's AWESOME! (And in those instances, I get to leave my MBP at the office!)

13. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Oct 11, 2009
    Ok, sound advice all the way around. I am starting to wonder if I can get by without the cd drive. My current laptop has a 140 GB hard drive and has 3 GB free. I've had to dump stuff a few times in the past 6 months to make space. But I'm thinking an extra hundred gigs may be enough. And there's always the external drive option. I won't be doing much photo or video editing really.

That being said, does the MBA come with an i7 processor?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Dec 12, 2008
    The 2011s have a dual-core i5. The 2012s might be announced as soon as next month.

15. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Oct 11, 2009
    Announced next month, and available when?

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Dec 12, 2008
    #15 Europa, Mar 15, 2012
  17. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

Mar 8, 2012
    YES. You can select an Intel i7, 1.8 GHz upgrade for $100 (IMO is worth it). Size/weight matters when traveling (MBA vs. MBP).

Close your eyes and ask thyself...what do you need +95% of the time? I bet the extra 5% includes DVD drive & other BS...Yes, you will miss it 5% of the time. Look at $$ and make comparison based on addition of SuperDrive, etc. I carry a Seagate 500GB SSD in my backpack; haven't used it.

Also, OSx requires less space than Win7 so you gain 5 to 10GB dependent on 32-62 bit.

18. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Oct 11, 2009
    The deal is done. MacBook Pro purchased this morning at Best Buy. And they had stacks of new iPads with only a couple people waiting.

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Jul 21, 2010
    good choice, you seriously gonna love it.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Dec 12, 2008
    You didn't want to wait for these?
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...inch_macbook_pros_in_production___report.html
    The prices will be the same and they'll have better hardware. Best Buy has a two-week return policy if you decide to change your mind. The SuperDrive is only $80. I'd rather use that on the rare occasion that I need the drive and have a lighter/thinner MBP.

#19 Europa, Mar 16, 2012
  21. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Feb 19, 2011
    I'm taking your advice Mindi, I am not buying one till the new ones come out.... I think I'm going for MBA though... It's going to be my first Apple computer :)

#20 Mommy, Mar 16, 2012