iPad 4 owners

1. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot Bronze

I'm wondering does anyone have any thoughts yet as to any noticeable differences between the new iPad 4 and the 3rd iPad?

My wife has the 3 and I just got the 4 and even though I have not compared the two units side by side, I can't say that I recognize any difference whatsoever between them.

In fairness I'm not a gamer so I'm only checking email, surfing the web, using the Facebook app, some office apps, and things like that.

Others.....

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Napoleon PhoneApart Moderator Senior Moderator

The iPad 4 goes to eleven...

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Mickeylittle

I don't follow.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

"This is Spinal Tap" reference.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius Gold

I'm looking forward to getting the WiFi Cellular version of the iPad 4. Apple says Mid November on their web site so I'm hanging in there.

Looking forward to having the processor comparable to my iPhone 5. The lightning connector is a plus so everything can use the same plugs for Gods sakes, less for me to carry when I pack up for the day.

Mickeylittle The iPad 3 and 4 will look 100% alike save for the port at the bottom. Apple will save a body refresh for the next generation of large iPad. I think it'll have the same body style as the Mini except, of course, bigger. The devices are going the way of the iPhone 5 in looks. I don't mind that. I'm looking forward to a new body on the next iPad.

7. Mickeylittle

Sorry for the confusion but the comparison I was referring to was in performance. I'm fully aware that the 3 and 4 are identical in apperance and my question to any owning the iPad 4 who had also owned the iPad 3 was "have they noticed this huge speed difference" from the super powerful A6X chip?

For me I'm not seeing much difference.

8. lemoon

lemoon Member Bronze

Haven't got the iPad 4, so don't know the exact differences, and I even want to get an iPad Mini :rolleyes:
    I think an iPad mini also can meet this needs, right?

9. Mickeylittle

Without a doubt but the iPad Mini already has about a thousand threads as compared to only 3 or 4 for the iPad 4 and since I bought the 4 I was hoping others had as well but this really seems to be the wrong forum to even mention the 4 in for some reason.

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius Gold

I'm sorry. I don't own the iPad 4 yet. I am buying the WiFi and Cellular version when it is released so I can't do a performance comparison. There are blogs that have done comparisons though. Here is one I found:http://arstechnica.com/Apple/2012/11/review-ipad-4-has-processing-power-to-spare/

11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius Gold

Here is a YouTube comparison.

12. Mickeylittle

Thank You! Finally! And what's interesting is that the review just really states exactly what I've already experienced. Note a direct quote...

"With all these extra compute and graphics resources, is the iPad 4 experience twice as good as the iPad 3? In most cases, no. Browsing a variety of websites on both tablets seemed identical. Scrolling long lists seems just as fast and smooth on both devices. Launching apps seems no faster, nor does downloading and installing apps, syncing or backing up data over Wi-Fi, or running productivity software. For a large majority of tasks that most users will face, using an iPad 4 is just like using an iPad 3.

Even more surprising, perhaps, is the much improved GPU seemed to have no noticeable effect on 3D games. I played Asphalt 7 and Infinity Blade II for long stretches, and the area of the back of the iPad where the processor is located got about as warm as the iPad 3. I honestly didn't notice one iota of improved performance, graphics quality, or frame rates."

Bottom line is that the iPad 4 is going back to Apple as it still doesn't compete with the speed of my Galaxy Note 10.1.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

I usually don't comment on this type of thing, but what's with the download speed on the iPad 4?

And what's with the yellow screen? Even I can see it.

14. raqball

raqball Zealot Silver

Please do not take this as a slam on the Note 10.1 as its not.

Has the Note 10.1 performance improved recently? I ask because my sister got one when it 1st came out and calling it sluggish would be an understatement.

She actually returned it for an iPad 3.

Loved the 16:9 ratio on it and the S-Pen was pretty sweet but man that thing had serious issues in the limited time I played with it.

15. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius Gold

I noticed that in the video too. The guy claimed there was a problem with the App.

The screen looking yellow, I noticed how weird it looked. I figured it was because it was new and had that glue issue, or he had the brightness down, or it's just messed up and he doesn't see it and its translates to the video.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

It's not glue.

17. psylichon

psylichon Genius Moderator

"Doing a speed test like this is never a good idea. Ok, here we go!"

18. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius Gold

Just throwing things out there. I too, am not sure what the color difference is on this iPad, but I noticed it also. I hope it's not a theme of this iPad. I'll definitely check this when I get mine.

19. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist Gold

It's not glue as the iPad 4's screen and digitiser are completely separate units. Look it up on ifixit

20. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator Moderator

Thread Pre-fix added.

21. aknightstale41

aknightstale41 Zealot Gold

I came from an iPad 2, so for me the difference is amazing.

• Agree Agree x 1