iPad 4 suddenly not charging

Discussion in 'iPad 4' started by Terry M., Jan 7, 2013.

1. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

My wife got an iPad 4 for Christmas so I'm not too familiar with it yet, but up until today it was charging just fine. She would use the charge cable and AC adapter that came with it. Today, it just stopped charging. The battery indicator is there with the percentage but no lightning bolt. It's not the outlet, as there's other things plugged into it and they're charging fine.
    I removed the AC adapter and plugged the cord into my laptop via the USB and still no charging.

Can anyone help me out with this? Faulty iPad? Faulty charging cord? Something easy that I'm apparently too stupid to figure out?

Thanks everyone.

2. Shan S.

Shan S. New Member

Have you tried rebooting the iPad to see if that clears up the charging problem?

As you are not too familiar with the iPad here are the steps:

1. Press both the center button (the button with square on it ) and the power button at the same time

-- The iPad will display the swipe to shut down screen after a few seconds. DO NOT LET GO of the buttons

-- The screen will be blank for a few seconds

2. Hold the two buttons down until you see the Apple symbol on the screen (This is IMPORTANT)

3.Once the symbol appears release the two buttons

4. The iPad will take a while to fully reboot and will display the Apple symbol for awhile

5. After your lock screen / main screen appears go Head and try charging again

Try that and let me know if helps or not.. Once Ina while the iOS devices need to be fully rebooted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Thank you for the reply. I tried the reboot and it's still not charging.

5. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

I would try a new cable. It's covered under warranty. If you can take the iPad, the cord and the power block in when you go just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Shan S.

Shan S. New Member

Ok. Sorry to hear that did not help..

--Do you have another USB phone charger for a iPhone or Android device? Plug the iPad cord into one of those and see if the iPad takes a charge.

The voltage on another charger will be lower so it is not a permanent solution, but it will tell you if the iPad charging cord is bad.

Also try plugging the cord of another USB device into the iPad charger for a sec, and see if the device takes a charge. Again it will tell you the charger went bad

At least those above steps will tell you whether the cord or actual charger are bad. If the iPad does not charge on another USB charger then it could be the cord. Or worst case the iPad itself..

Like docd said you may want to take everything back to the Apple store.. But try some of the troublshooting first...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The first thing to rule out is the cable. If you have another device that uses Lightning, try charging it with that cable. If not, buy or borrow a new cable. If it's not the cable, you might have a defective charging port. It doesn't sound like it's old enough to have dust accumulation in the port, or I'd recommend trying a dust blower before taking it to Apple if the cable is fine.

8. iPutz

iPutz Contributor
    Bronze

One thing to keep in mind, after you solve this problem, is that the iPad will not properly charge from a computer's USB port or an iPhone charger. The iPad requires 2 amps @ 5volts DC for charging but a computer's USB port or an iPhone charger can only supply a maximum of 1 amp. The iPad can charge slowly from the computer or iPhone charger but it will take 3 or 4 times longer to reach a full charge and the iPad's charging indicator won't show that any charging is taking place.

9. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Thank you all so much. I'll have my wife try her i5 charger to see if it will take a charge. I'll report back!

Sent using iCafe app

10. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Wife just called- she inspected the cable and apparently a cat had teeth marks in the cord. I sure didn't notice that last night. But problem solved. It's charging right now via her i5 charger until we can get another iPad cord.
    Thanks for all your help!

Sent using iCafe app

• Like Like x 1
  11. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

I have had cats chew many power cords over the past years. They also have a habit of throwing up all over computer keyboards and anything around they find.

• Like Like x 1
  12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

That's because it tastes like chicken. :)

Sent using iCafe app

13. gaurawm

gaurawm New Member

H
    Hi..

My ipad while connecting to the charger shows charging for intilaly 5 secs afterwards it shows not charging ..what could possibly went wrong....also when strange thing that when i turn it off and then charge it will charge without any prob but moment i turn it on then it shows the same ..

pls adv

thanks!
    Gaurav